Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

block heater

4K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  rider2xtreme93 
#1 ·
is there a way i can test my block heater..i really dont think its working.it was plugged in all night but the truck didnt seem like it was ay warmer then if it sat all night unplugged.it started hard.and the temp guage didnt move when i turned the key on. normally it jumps up to the first line if i have her plugged in

#2 ·
Usually when you plug it in you will get a small spark at the cord. The heating element is 1,000 Watt so it draws about 9 Amps when plugged in.

You should be able to hear it at first, but within a few minutes you should feel the filter head get warm to the touch.

#18 ·
Make sure you are not over loading the circuit that the cord is plugged in to. Most normal circuits are 15-20 amp circuits. I never thought about it when I tried to plug in 2 trucks and my JD tractor on a 4 outlet receptacle with a 20 amp circuit. The two trucks and the JD tractor was drawing more amps then the circuit could handle and it tripped the breaker. Try showing up for work thinking everything is going to start in the cold and then find out the circuit breaker had tripped. Check the breaker panel, check the extension cord itself,check the short cord going to the block heater and check the block heater.

#23 ·
I did not get the owners manual when I bought my truck (used)....The truck was purchased in California so not sure if it came with a heater as an option.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.