Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

OUO Traction Bar install questions...complicated

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
So I ordered my track bar last week, bolt on adjustable type....no big deal

Went down to discount tire and had them order a 40" tire to check for clearance and noticed something weird about the rear axle location as compared to the fender well is not centered being farther forward. This picture shows it a little, but it is much more pronounced in person....

So I then went searching around the interwebs and found a few other threads with something similar...but they are on competing websites so I wont post the threads. Here are a couple pics "opposite" of my problem...

And here...

Those two show the axle is farther rearwards in the fenderwell.

So then I find OUO offers an adjustable U-Bolt plate to reposition the axle but it appears that it is to adjust opposite of the direction I need....
One Up Offroad

"When you use our adjustable position U-Bolt plate with the block you can change the axle position and move the axle forward 5/8" or 1 1/4". Moving the rear axle forward can help with driveline length and allows for more clearance between the tire and the back of the rear fender."

I wouldnt care so much if I were going to leave the 38's on there, but with the new 40" tire the look is that much more pronounced. I doubt that I would compress the suspenstion enough to warrant actually worring about it but the possibility is still there, plus it just looks funny to the trained eye.

So here's my questions...

1. Would the compressing of the suspension actually pivot the axle back into position to center the wheel?

2. Should I fix this before installing the traction bars?

3. am I being too anal and just deal with it?

Here's how I think it should look....nice and centered

Thanks for reading

Ken

**edit** I appologize if I'm using your photos without permission, let me know if you'd like for me to take them down

See less See more
#3 ·
if i recall measure the leaf spring from center pin to eye of spring on both sides. the shorter side should be on the front(forward facing). i had superlift label one wrong and after numerous calls and cutting fenders and bumpers. i was asked by national spring to measure. so measure your leaf spring.

#7 ·
Its a lift spring with a block - not sure but I think its a pro comp 6" leaf with the stock block - not really sure how that is setup.

Next weekend I'm gonna unbolt the rear shackle and cycle the suspension back there and see what goes where and either trim for the 40's or build in a bump stop to limit the travel of the wheel into the fender.

I read over the install instructions for the trac bars and i should set the axle before installing the bars...so if I "need" to move the axle I will but I have my doubts that I'll have too

#8 ·
When the suspension cycles, the rear tires will move up and back.

With the 08 and newer trucks it is more common when they are lifted to have the rear axle off center like that. The OUO adjustable center pin blocks and top plates are popular on the taller 08+ trucks.

If you want to change it, the best time is before you install the traction bars.

#10 ·
But doesn't the axle actually move forward when it cycles becasue the shorter end of the leaf is forward? If it moved rearward that woudl make sense. Is that what actually happens?

I thought during OUO traction bar thread it was stated that the 08+ actually cycled almost perfectly straight up and down?

The OUO adj pin hole top plate can it be mounted either direction so it could be used to move the axle forward or rearward?

I knew Icon moved the center pin forward on the front leafs but did not realize they did the same on the rear. That might be an issue for me on the Excursion I really need it to be centered (where it is originally on the stock leafs) as it will have cut outs and there is zero room to adjust for it by cutting more at the front half of the wheel opening then then the rear. The back door is right there.

#11 ·
no, when the spring cycles the leaf flattens which in turn go up and back. thats why most lifts the axle is moved forward.

#12 ·
Yep I had it backwards in my head. That makes much better sense. The truck in the first picture kind of looks like what you end up with when you do a shackle flip. The tire gets moved forward like that.

What does is the effect of Ford setting the center pin so far forward on our leaf packs? Better weight capacity? Increased travel or flex?

Obviously they changed their position on the newer 08s as not only did they go back to center but also increased OAL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.