Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

duratracs

4K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  DCSpecial 
#1 ·
my dually is going to need new tires soon. i was thinking of going with the goodyear duratracs or, the nitto terra grapplers? what do you guys think?

#7 ·
I ran a st of terra grapplers last time around, 325/65R18 and I liked them but honestly I was a bit dissapointed with them wearing out in 40k. Bad alignment and not rotating too often chewed up one tire, judging by the rest I coulda got 5-10k more out of them.

I loved em in the snow on plowed roads and ice and such but in wet heavy snow (like mud) they weren't as good. I felt I had to use 4x4 more often than I would expect, but always got out once in 4x4.

#8 ·
I am currently running Duratracs on my 99 CCSB 4x4. Last time they were rotated, they had 11k on them and had only lost 4-5/32" of tread. They started with 18/32" so I'm looking to get at least 30k-40k out of them. They are very quite and I'm really happy with them so far.

As for tires being loud, its usually from cupping, if you keep 'em rotated and aired up properly, you shouldn't have any issues unless you have some suspension problems.

#10 ·
They were option #2 for me.
I'm going with the Hankook ATm RF10's. The duratrac's look awesome and have a lot of good reviews, with the only neg I've ever heard is they wander a bit for the first ~500-1000 miles.
In the end, they don't look $50/tire better than the Hankooks to me.

#12 ·
I like my Terra Grapplers, they do good in the snow and rain and they have very little road noise. I have 10,000 miles on mine and they have tons of life left, they're wearing better than my Toyo ATs ever did.

#16 ·
my dura tracs have a little over 50,000 mi on them and will last till spring. they work great in mud and snow and have great traction on ice. the only gripe i have is they seem to wander once in a while but that could be the truck to.they are also e rated load range.

#17 ·
I run both the Duratracks and the ATM's on my 99. The ATM are great in the winter and the Duratracks are very qiuet for a agressive tread in the summer. I wish they made the duratracks in a 37 or 38. I am going to try the Swamper Truxus mt next on the Excursion as they look very similar to the duratracks.

#18 ·
I've heard a lot of bad feedback on the Truxus MTs. Too many people having blowouts on heavier trucks like these and causing accidents. I was looking at those when I was going to do cutouts and just heard too much negative to go there.

#23 ·
Guess I shouldn't complain about the $925 quote I got for 4 M/B for mine huh?

Might end up going with these, the hankooks are sold out right now and not sure when they'll get more in.

#26 ·
i ran terra grapplers on my dually in 315/75/16 and was getting 40-50k miles out of them, they did great on dirt roads and sand but didnt like mud to much. the only reason i stopped running them is because i went to 37" SS M16s.

#28 ·
I got a set for my wife's Jeep as a trial run before I picked up a set for the SD.

They're very quiet for an aggressive tire and are looking to last a while.

I'll be getting a set for the SD here in a couple of weeks, too.

#29 ·
Ive only had them on the truck for 2000 miles or so, but heres my 2 cents.

There a little louder than I expected, probably most annoying around 30 to 40 mph when warm.

The only unusual thing so far is when its below 30 degrees outside traveling about 40 mph and the tires are cold, they will make a noise like they are hitting the fender or bumper. Like a rub rub rub sound. As they warm up and at other speeds the sound isnt there.

Aaron

#30 ·
I am extremely happy with mine. 15k and still going strong. I just took a trip to the mountains today up a dirt road covered in fresh ad frozen snow and did great. Wet weather traction i feel is way better than my stock tires, and the noise is not bad at all to me. Offroad they are great too.

#31 ·
I sell TONS of Duratracs, My last set I got 47000 miles out of em and I tow a gooseneck everyday full of tires. I do run a dmax tho. I have a heavy foot and I was running the Silent armor progrades and never saw over 25000 miles. Winter traction is great, So is mud. The weird thing is that they are noisy on some trucks and then the next you barely hear them. On my 06 dmax they made no noise but on my 09 they are very loud, esp around 35-40mph. I run a 275/70r18 10 ply. Loaded I dont notice the squirm, I just figure its the P.O.S Chevy.

#33 ·
Dang 18's gives me 3 size choices, hahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.