Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Broken Bar...Can someone tell me what it is called????

3K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  7.3powerstroke03 
#1 ·
I just noticed a popping underneath and found this broken bar? Can someone tell me what it is and a possible fix? Thanks in advanced for the info.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
trac bars are NOT as vital in leaf sprungs axles as some think. the leafs are what mainly locate the axle, as you dive the springs can flex slightly to the sides over bumps and around corners, that is what the track bar controls(it get exagerated with lift springs). you can drive with out it, but you need to be aware it will steer differently and react differently.

the added weight of our trucks may make a difference as well, im not sure.

i built a leaf sprung jeep wrangler with 1-ton axles and never had a trac bar, drove it everywhere with out issue for years

**disclaimer** im not promoting removing it or not replacing it. just saying you dont HAVE TO have it.

#11 ·
If anyone thinks they can do OK without their trac bar on a Powerstroke, go take it off, and get in the truck, now turn back and forth.

Note what happens... I bet it's not your tires turning. :D

It does work on some stuff. I want to say that my 82 Power Ram didn't even have one.

#16 ·
Ya, I was just going to say, I don't recall my '76 or '78 Power Wagon having one, and ofcourse those were leaf spring as well. Wonder why Ford is different?:confused:
Now that I think of it, I don't remember a swaybar either.

#22 ·
OK, after some research, I found the trackbar/panhard prevents bump steering, and enhances high speed handling. I can see that. It leads me to believe though that Ford didn't do their homework as much as we'd like to think. See my previous post about 12k+ on same type suspension, and the other pickups. Not whining, just wondering, not that big of a deal.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.