Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Rear End Noises

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  rebelchevy02 
#1 ·
Friend of mine has been having a lot of whining coming from his rear end, so bad he said he can't hear his truck over the noise. He said the bearings seem solid. He hasn't pulled the cover to check his gears. We will probably be doing this soon. What should I be looking for/what are the possible problems he could be having with all of this whining?

#2 ·
ring and pinion is toast, my f150 did the same thing, cost ford a complete new rear end including axles due to all the crap floating around in there.
luckily for me it happened 200 miles before the warranty was up.

good luck to ya.

#3 ·
So I can pretty much expect to pull his cover and there be a bunch of metal floating around in there is what you're saying!

#4 ·
Pulled the cover, oil smelled burnt but no huge chunks taken out of the ring/pinion. The spider gears had a few scratches on them but that is all. Any ideas here? New oil was put in.

#5 ·
what driveshaft does this truck have in it? 1 or 2 piece with the carrier bearing. if it is the 2 piece I would take a look at the carrier bearing, even if it doesn't feel loose that doesn't mean it is not bad. sometimes driveline noise is hard to pinpoint

#6 ·
Ahh yes that completely slipped my mind! It does have a two piece and I bet that's what it is. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

#7 ·
when i had the whinning noise it was the pinion bearings, they seemed tight but going down the road they let lose, destroyed the rear

#10 ·
How difficult was it to replace the pinon bearing? I have built old Chevy 12 bolts with that used a crush collar and have also built fORDS 9" is the Dana like either of these?

Im hoping I can just pull the wheels and axles out, remomve the carrier, undo pinion bolt and have new bearings pressed on the new pinion using the shim thats already under the currrent pinion bearing? then just retorgue the pinion nut...Can you update us on how you did it? also, do you have the torguw specs handy?

#12 ·
The sterling axles in our trucks have a crush collar on the pinion. However, Steve down at Differential Engineering has a kit for replacing the crush collar with a set of shims. Takes a little time to setup, but definetely worth it. The pinion is the weakest link of the sterling axles IMO. After you fix that minor problem, its a pretty tough unit IMO.

Differential Engine - Winter Haven, FL - Welcome 863-294-7602

#11 ·
It wasn't my truck. I left it up to my buddy to either have me do it or a shop. He decided to have a shop do it as he wanted to get his truck inspected anyways. Sorry I can't help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.