Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

tire pressure issue

646 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  crowz 
#1 ·
So i put these new Hankook tires on my truck. the shop wanted to set the tire pressure at 80psi, and i didnt want that so i asked to have them set to 60 to start. I drove it for a week, and was at work one day, and drove into the hangar at the airport and wanted to check my pressures. After looking at the tread, i noticed about an inch of the outside rear tires that were not making contact with the road, and about half inch on the fronts. (both inside and outside of the tires not making contact all the way around) So i adjusted fronts to 55 and rears to 50. my question is, did i do the right thing, to try and make more of the tire make contact to wear more even, or should i ignore that and bump the pressure back up?

#2 ·
Im not sure how accurate or correct my method is but what Ive always done on truck tires was to start with a minimum of 32 to 35 like a car tire if not hauling anything. Then go up from there to get the truck to drive right. Whatever it takes to keep it from feeling solid and not wobble or wander. Most of my vehicles that works out to 42 to 45 psi.

If Im towing I will raise the psi sometimes depending on tongue weight.

Again not saying this is the "best" method but its worked for me for years.

#3 ·
do you find your tires to wear good, and last like they should?

#4 ·
Seems to. I get about 30k to 40k out of most mud tires I run. Some Ive gotten up to 65k but they were pretty bald by then. Wear is even across the entire tire and not just bald in the middle or outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.