Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

so i made a guage pod

11K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  tree trimmer 
#1 ·
it will go under cubby hole, left of the cig lighter. i have a manual 4x4 shifter so that part of the dash panel is recessed so the wires coming out the bottom of the pod i dont have to drill a hole in the dash for them. some work in progress pics and a finished but not mounted one. i used the green block foam from wal-mart to make a shape, and 2" pvc for the guage size. worked rather slick. some fiber glass as my main "pod", cut out foam, sand fiber glass relatively smooth, add some bondo body filler to make smooth, sand/prep/prime/paint. i didnt like that the ones you can buy all face up and straight toward the seat. this one will face up and toward me.

on a side note,

if your married, and dont have a heated garage, do not do this at kitchen table like i did, the wife gets kinda mad. i had open windows, but i got the " that smells like ####, take it outside " to which i said no cuz i dont wanna get cold

See less See more
#7 ·
ill get a mock up pik and post it.

sitting in my seat, this is what i see, i think when/if i make another one, i will tip them up a little more. but im happy with the angle towards me. i left room over the guages for various led lights and a couple switches. i think it was csipsd that had two led's for his water inj, one when it had power and one when it was injecting, then ill have another one for my glow plugs to tell me when they are on. the coolingmist stg 3 mpg kit i got came with a low fluid sensor, i might try to hook up also.

Attachments

#15 ·
hummm... no, they dont. This one looks right at me from the drivers seat...

#17 ·
hummm... no, they dont. This one looks right at me from the drivers seat...
yours points up more than mine, which after seein yours ima make mine point up farther, its just fiberglass, and i got just enough left i think to do it. but mine are turned where yours look to be straight, and i wanted turned. maybe it was just your pic though.

#19 ·
time, whats that? :D i really pissed the wife off when i made that. i dont have a heated garage, so i made that over the course of 3 days when i got off work, at the kitchen table. she told me to go to the garage on the first day, and i told her if i had to go out there, she had to be out there as long as i was. i was allowed to finish at the table. :D it bein 20* in there helped. :D

#23 ·
17 total... Counting the scan gauge... And the scan gauge is reading two things at once...

you read posts by ppl that know him, and even though he has to guage a moniter everyting, he still breaks stuff, :poke: :poke: :D

I break lots of stuff... :D

Been a while since anything has "broken" so I will go find some wood to pound on today!:doh:

#25 ·
Looks good! I like that better now!

#29 ·
i still gotta make the back flat, as you can see in my pic on this page, the top doesnt quite sit flat to the dash, there are small gaps, and gotta do something just a tad different on the color, but other than that, im real happy with how it turned out. i got to looking at the space i have around it, and i think that i can put another row under that row, if i should get the CSIPSD syndrome. where he has his two or three on top of dash above the speedo, i might have a row of 8-9. just so they aint scattered like his are. this would get done on a spare dash panel though. im not sold on if/where i want more guages to go yet though.

#35 ·
Any of our vendors can get you a doubble, tripple or quad over head pod...:D

#37 ·
You can also buy them for cheap and save yourself the time and hassle.No offense to the OP.

#40 ·
in essence i made the same thing the guage whore has, but i turned mine. it was actualy cheaper, and didnt take long to make. i think it took me a total of like 3 hours, about a hour a day for three days. come home from work, make the form, next day lay fiberglass, next day sand/prep/paint. i got about $25 in it + 3hours. and no offense taken. some ppl would rather buy something, if its close to what they want, whether they cannot or do not want to make one. i had the time so i did. if i can make someting, and make it exactly the way i want, and dont have to make the concession of its CLOSE to what i want, but not quite right, ill do it. looking back though, i prolly would not make another one, was about a 5 on the pita scale, but im happy with what i got.

#41 ·
Glad your happy with it,nothin better than custom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.