Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Does the 6.4 require studs

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  78f100 
#1 ·
Does the 6.4 require studs and egr delete like the 6.0? I'm still debAting if I should trade my truck in..

#2 ·
Deppends on how much power you want to push out of the truck.. I have been told if you plan to push over 40+ psi your going to wanna swap them out.

egr delete isnt a must but its still a good mod.

#3 ·
i spoke to Eric and he informed me that the egr delete/wastegate is not necessary for my desires but Ted at IDP and Aaron did mention if you are gonna run it hard all the time in the highest setting then you might want to do it if the cab is off.
Since i have warranty time left, i couldn't justify another 1200 plus bucks and install. Both Eric and Aaron confirmed to wait unless the cab is off or your building a race/pull truck. For most guys the basic tuner, dpf-delete are fine.
I

#5 ·
nobody posts about blowin head gaskets really on a 6.4, unless there extreme into pulling heavy loads like 10k + or drag racing at the strip. So if your just the avg. joe pulling a decent load and like to have a little fun with the truck every now and then studs are not needed. the 6.4 is a tough motor and will last a long time

#7 ·
Agreed.

My thoughts are that if the cab is coming off for studs, go ahead and delete the EGR while it's easy to get to. Kinda foolish not to IMO. I realize it's more money, but still...

#8 ·
My thoughts are that if the cab is coming off for studs, go ahead and delete the EGR while it's easy to get to. Kinda foolish not to IMO. I realize it's more money, but still...[/QUOTE]

:whs:
But if you don't run the chit out of your truck you should be good!! I think for a lot of guys a good tune like Eric's X-street or Kem 275 is good for a daily driver and wont need studs! Sayin that, if you plan on running a big race tune all the time or dragin the truck, studs, egr delete and a wesgate would be best!!

#9 ·
I know this is kind of an older post but I was lookin and I was wanting some input on getting studs for my truck. I have it on the 210 tow tune and I usually haul a 25 ft gooseneck with 8-10 round bales on it for the farm and its a pretty good load. Just curoius to whether or not it would be a good/safe idea for me to look into gettin the studs for my truck since it will be pulling some heavy loads in the future?

#10 ·
If your running the 210 for towing and 275 for fun you should be fine. It never hurts to put them in but I do not think it will be necessary for you. The 16mm stock bolts can take a lot. now if you decide to get a 345 or some hot tune like that then yes, studs are a must.

#13 ·
whats everyone paying for there 6.4? is there a specific year i should stay away from?

#14 ·
All are good, if you can, try not to get a 08 6.4 job 1.. Other than that, they are all good.. Alot of trucks i see seem to go between 32k-38k on average

#17 ·
I have the kem 345 tune on my (bone stock motor) in a 08 job 2. I have put 6000 miles, 4 1/8 mile dragstrip passes, and I can't count how many test rides showing friends how it runs. I'm sure I will stud it one day either when a hg goes or if I have to pull the cab for any reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.