Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Not impressed with scan gauge longevity...

4K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
I have to say I am not impressed with the longevity of the scan gauges... I've had mine for about 3 years now, and for the last 8 months the screen is impossable to read anytime other then first thing in the morning or dark. If you pull it out of the pod and tip it way the hell down you can read it, which is what I have to do most times...

This is about a week ago...

And here is the same gauge about 18 months ago...

So thats my gauge...

Now my wifes Scan gauge starts acting up this week... I have not seen it myself yet, but she has disconnected it, reconnected it, removed it from the pod, checked the wiring and everything, will not display and then shuts off randomly...

Now her's is just about a month over a year old...

I more then likely will get her's fixed as when I am away it allows her to buzz and cont tests, as well as read codes and such...

But I may just do away with mine. I guess they are hard to get ahold of, but I will be trying monday.

See less See more
#5 ·
I dont know. I did call them once about mine and they said because they dont use that face anymore they would sell me a new gauge... It was about 25% off IIRC, but again, if the new one is going to have problems, I dont want to deal with it.

#7 ·
well there is always the isspro hpop gauge and AE for all the tests,.....
should you have to go that route.

#8 ·
I have both of those, altho the Isspro tap for the HPO connection is lost somewhere...LOL

#9 ·
I've had mine for not even a year. It sometimes just freezes up and the numbers don't change. Sometimes it goes blank and shuts down and you can't get it restarted. No rhyme or reason to it. Started about 1 month ago. Gauge was purchased in Feb.

Let us know what you find out on your wife's.

#10 ·
Hey guys, I'm only a dealer and not the manufacturer. So, you need to contact Aeroforce directly and make them aware of the issues. I will forward this link to them as well.

Another thought would be to post on there forum page on there website.

FWIW, I have sold hundreds of theses gauges with only a few issues. Most of which I found while setting the gauges up before they ever shipped and returned them myself.

#11 ·
Is there a phone number for them??
I had it a long time ago...but I cant find it anywhere now, not on their website or anything.....

I think Ive had mine for about 2 yrs now and it just recently quit working all together. The 2 red lights at the top barly flicker now,,,thats it.

The first one they sent me didnt even work...had to send it back.
This one lasted about 2 yrs I guess.

#13 ·
Every once in a while mine goes dead. Unplug it and plug it back in and it works good. I hope it lasts. I love this thing.

#17 ·
I love ours too, but they have to last longer then a few years.

Glad I came across this. I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a good scanner.
As said above, I love them, but they have to stand up for a few years more.

#15 ·
Only time I ever have a problem with mine is when I first get in in the mornings and it's extremely cold out. The display will look faded out but once the heat starts going it is easily readable. Not exactly sure how long I have had mine. I know for sure atleast 2 years.

#19 ·
Have you contacted us about the newer gauge? It's under warranty, we have no problem taking care of it. I don't know how we can help out if we don't know about the issue.

Older gauges are a tougher proposition. Keep in mind that these are mini computers and the less than ideal environment, both electrically and physically that they operate in. Typically loss of contrast is caused by the gauge being baked in the sun over a long period of time, which is why we address this in the manual to help reduce or eliminate this issue. It this does not apply to you then perhaps your display isn't as robust as most. We don't see this very often. The gauge display should still look relatively like new after 3 years if it hasn't been excessively heated on a frequent basis. Because of the age of your gauge, and the fact that we've changed hardware a couple years ago, it's not easy to just replace the display which is why we offer the upgrade option for 2/3 the price of a new gauge. We can still do it but you will not get the same bezel back and it's going to cost more than if it were the new style with screw on bezel.

For future reference we have a tech forum for issues like this:

Aeroforce Technology Inc Technical Forums :: Index

Shoot me an email at sales@aeroforcetech.com and we can come up with a resolution to both issues.

Todd

#20 ·
I e-mailed you guys about my gauge about 8 months ago or so... And kinda just let it go, but when my wife started having issues with hers as well, its quite frustrating.

I will shoot you an e-mail today and see what we can come up with.

Another pic from yesterday.

Attachments

#21 ·
Great info Todd. I wanted to do some testing on mine in a different pickup to make sure it's just not the truck's pcm causing the issue. But unfortunately I'm several weeks out before I can have another truck up and going.

Mine is so intermittent and hasn't done it in quite a while I kinda forgot about it. I stated above that it began about a month ago, but it was closer to 3 now. Had the issue off and on for a month or so, but has been working flawlessly for the past month. I'll shoot you an email explaining it all and see what you suggest.

#27 ·
3 years is nothing for todays technology
Does that mean we are so technologically advanced that the things built now days should easily last more than 3 years?

or

With the way things are built now, your lucky to get 3 yrs out of it?? :poke:

:D

#29 ·
i think with todays technology it should last much longer.... That doesnt mean companies are willing to put the money into making them last. But they definitely can/should.

Ive heard VERY VERY few bad comments about aeroforce and im still patiently waiting for one!

#28 ·
It is so obsolete in three years, it isn't worth having.

J/K, I hope mine lasts. I absolutely love it. if I have an issue, I now know who to contact.

#30 ·
Well...

I had an email typed and ready to send to Todd, and I thought.... "lemme check one more thing before I hit send"

Went outside - took the SG off the 250 - plugged it into the 450 and ........... IT WORKS FINE = I WAS WRONG

I guess I have a problem with the OBD2 port on the 250 or something

Anyone have any suggestions on a place for me to look first??

Ill be sitting here eating crow for about 30 mins...... :doh:

#33 ·
Yep...Found the blown fuse... To make it even more embarassing , I guess its the same fuse as the cig lighter.

Pretty sure I blew that myself like a week ago messing with the lighter. :doh::doh:

#34 ·
No big deal!!

I hate to admit it but i once blew that fuse and thought my PCM was going bad because at the point the truck wouldnt start and i couldnt get a scan gauge to power up..... Come to find out the fuse was blown and the IPR was stuck wide open so it wouldnt build any pressure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.