Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Precision Industries Torque Converter

31K views 95 replies 35 participants last post by  imelmo 
#1 ·
Anyone have any info on a Precision Industries TC install on their truck? I am looking at their Stallion TC, but I would kind of like to know what is involved in the install before I buy one. Any tips, problems, issues you guys noticed while installing yours?

#2 ·
I have never installed a torque converter on one of these trucks, but i would imagine it is just like all of the muscle and race cars i have helped to put together. Pour about a quart of two of fluid in the converter then slide it over the imput shaft. The only thing to watch for is to make sure it is totally seated on the shaft. If there is any special instructions for our trucks i'm sure someone will chime in

#3 ·
You're lifted so that helps, and hurts.
1.Jack up the rear of the truck so you can easily slide under. You're going to be doing a lot of sliding, so you might as well make it confortable.
2.Pull both driveshafts, set them well out of the way.
3.Remove the skid plates.
4.Remove the woring harnesses.
5.Remove the transfer case. It's heavy and awkward, so don't put anything underneath that is breakable and/or you value. (like your self). I found it best to slide it out until the indexing dowel came out and rotate the far end down.
6.Then slide it the rest of the way out and catch the falling end.
7.Spend 15 minutes massaging the bruise on your chest where the transfer case came to a stop on it's downward swing.
8.Remove the starter. It just makes it easier.
9.Remove the flywheel cover plate.
10.Remove the nuts/bolts holding the TC to the flywheel. You can use a long screwdriver to turn the flywheel, or a wrench if you're luck enough to have one that fits.
11.Remove any fluid lines, hoses, and dipstick tubes from the transmission.
Get the long extensions and skinny arms and remove the bolts holding the transmission to the engine. I found it easier to get the top 2 from above.
12.Put a transmission jack under the transmission.
13.Remove the rear transmission crossmember.
14.Using super-human strength, lift truck from on top of the transmission and set it off to the side.
15.In the event that super-human strength is unavailable, brace the engine to keep it from falling backwards (wood between oil pan and frame works), and slide transmission backwards off of the engine. You may have to pry between the bellhousing and the block, or between the flywheel and TC.
16.Lower transmission as low as it will go and slide it out.
17.Pull the TC straight off, supporting it as you do so. You don't want to damage the splines on the shafts.
18.Turn the new TC upside down and pour 2-3 quarts of your favorite transmission fluid into it.
19.Slide the new TC on. The front face of the TC should sit inside the transmission by about an inch (IIRC). You'll have to support the TC while turning it to get the splines to engage properly.
20.Reverse steps 16-1
21. Add fluid as necessary to bring it up to the proper level.
22. Enjoy the new TC.

#4 ·
BTS sells them but I don't think even Brian would encourage you to change it. I would say that since you have an 01, your trans is at best suspect since it is old and at worst, waiting to break if it hasn't been rebuilt without the diode in it. Save your money for when you get a BTS trans.

#5 ·
You think it's a bad idea to change the TC? I'm not looking to add any huge power to my truck... Just make it as reliable and smooth as possible. I hear the TC's in the 4R100 can be a weak link so I was thinking about upgrading to a better TC. So now my question is... Should I change the TC or not?

#8 ·
If the truck has a trans failure, it will take out the nice new TC with it. That means you send it back to the factory to have it cut apart, cleaned, rewelded back and rebalanced. $$

#7 ·
You can just go to a 02 03 torque converter if your just planing mild mods , but their right the older ones have issues and if your gonna go that far mise well replace it too while your at it because muphy's law states , after one changes converter one's transmision will fail soon after, Making it nesesery to do it all over again . Any questions ?

Dan

#10 ·
i was in your shoes last year....decided against it and saved for a bts which is being shipped as we speak. it is alot of money but the best thing i can tell you is when you replace the tc the next weakest link is going which is the tranny. i would hate to think you spent 1500$ on a tc that you had for 10k miles and had to not only replace the tc but also the tranny which is another 4500 plus the 1500 you spent on the toasted converter...the call is for you to make but i would ride the one you have out until you can afford a whole tranny

#13 ·
I use Precisions in all of my mild performance rebuilds. Put that in and a Transgo tugger kit or valve body from your favorite vendor and rock on as long as the fluid looks good. You Do have to pull the trans and the pump out, But it is not too bad to do

Travis

#16 ·
Your build date puts you after the diode fiasco. There is still a few things that should be taken care of in the tranny while you have it out. Snap ring being a biggie. So like the others have said, Do it Right. A high performance TC will probably increase the torque factor that the stock tranny might not like.

#17 ·
Your build date puts you after the diode fiasco.
I wouldn't bet on it. I thought it was BTS or somebody that told me there was a truck built near mid 01 and it still had the diode.

#18 ·
Isn't there a way to check for the Diode? I thought you could jack up the rear, spin one of the tires and listen for a clicking sound if you had the diode... Either way, I am glad I asked about the TC because the responses you guys have given is just what I was looking for. Like I said, I have been looking at BTS for a long time(I currently run one of their VB's) and the only thing keeping me from buying one is the cost. I can afford 5 grand but it will still take awhile to save up... Thanks for all the replies guys.

Alsoooo, if and when I buy a BTS, I will be making the trip to Lead Hill... I hear it's beautiful down there... ;)

#19 ·
Isn't there a way to check for the Diode? I thought you could jack up the rear, spin one of the tires and listen for a clicking sound if you had the diode... Either way, I am glad I asked about the TC because the responses you guys have given is just what I was looking for.

Like I said, I have been looking at BTS for a long time(I currently run one of their VB's) and the only thing keeping me from buying one is the cost. I can afford 5 grand but it will still take awhile to save up... Thanks for all the replies guys.

Alsoooo, if and when I buy a BTS, I will be making the trip to Lead Hill... I hear it's beautiful down there... ;)
I'm not sure if there is a way but BTS will know. IIRC, he said that it was hard to tell but I may be fuzzy on that.

He probably will give you credit towards the trans for the VB if you buy it. It is 4100 for the trans

If you do that, the install is free.

#24 ·
This is what I thought... I don't have the diode. I had actually checked my transmission build date right after I bought the truck and it was stamped with a date that was shortly after the time when they stopped using the diode. I know that is no guarantee that I don't have the diode but.... Now that I have 2 signs(build date after diode was discontinued and no clicking sound) that I don't have the diode I feel better about it.

You shouldn't do it though because aklim is personally gonna kick your a$$ if you do.
Whatever do you mean? I haven't noticed any ruffled feathers or opinionated posts here? :mad:

#22 ·
You shouldn't do it though because aklim is personally gonna kick your a$$ if you do.
It's just my opinion that he shouldn't because I have done it before and it didn't turn out good. Still if he wants to, it's his truck and his money and I wish him the best.

#26 ·
Any 2001 built after March, 2001, will have the good clutch. Any 2001 built before that will have the mechanical diode.

That is from Mark K, a Ford tranny engineer. Your tranny doesn't have it.

#29 ·
Didn't read thru everything so this may have been posted, but David at Diesel Innovations has a smokin' deal on Precision torque converters.

#34 ·
Let's keep this on track folks.

#37 ·
Not carrying around anything RacerX, aka GiantPowerStroke, aka Bill. I just don't like ya, and really it doesn't bother me a bit.:D No burdens here, but thanks for your concern.:rolleyes:

And I know Cowboy Dan has a BTS. Never said that I didn't. My homework has been done.:blah:

Anyway, PI is a great convertor. Terry and Vicki at PI are top notch and they know how to build a convertor. But, if you are going to keep the truck long term and can save up for a full build, get a complete one from a reputable builder (course my recommendation is BTS).;)
If you are going to sell the truck soon, then get a reman - cheap one and ride it out until you sell.

#41 ·
Are those numbers supposed to be a stamp or did you PhotoShop those on there?

#47 ·
OK photo shop or no photo shop what is the point of the picture and the stamp?

Tom

#50 ·
Newer technology shown with a real photo instead of animation. Buy the converter of your choice was the message. We didn't ask to be included in this thread.
A choice creates better products when it's possible and available. That's the best use of technology and information. This is a tech based forum. Send a pm if you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.