Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Color Match Headlights??

30K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  madman1234509 
#1 ·
Can someone elaborate on the best way to take the headlight apart and put it back together? I have read about putting them in the oven at 250 degrees for about 10 minutes. I would like to know what you place them on in the oven and any helpful hints.

#4 ·
1. Cleverly place Sale flyers for 50% off at Macys all over the house taking care to make the sale date and the date you want to do your project the same. To a female a sale at Macys is like crack to a crack head, irresistible.

2. Remove the headlights and all non plastic items from the housings. This includes rubber grommets from the main headlight socket, the small piece of black tape like substance from attached to the back of the housing slightly offset from the main headlight socket. Remove all three screws from the back of the housing. There are two on the top of the housing and one on the lower outside edge, and of course remove all bulbs.

3. Lock the Doors…..In case she comes home early

4. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees and remove all but one oven rack. Place that rack on the bottom most position. While you are waiting for the oven to heat up cut a piece of card board about the size of the oven rack. You will place your headlight assembly on this so the rack doesn’t leave marks in the light assy.

5. Once the oven is heated place one headlight assembly inside the oven and set your timer for ten (10) minutes. To prevent any possibility of overheating the assembly I turned the oven off when the assembly was inside.

6. Remove the housing using gloves. I used a pair of leather work gloves to handle the assembly. Right after you remove the housing set the oven to pre-heat again as you will loose about 20 to 30 degrees over the ten minute bake and you will have to put the housing back in again. (I will explain)

7. Using a couple of screw drivers, the wider the better, start prying the lens away from the backing. I started on the bottom of the light first and worked my way around the outside. This process is similar to dismounting a tire using tire irons. THIS IS NOT EASY, you have to take your time and work in small increments. DO NOT OVER STRESS THE LENS as it may crack as a result. I pried mostly on the backing as this did deform a bit but regained its original shape without issue.

8. You will only get about two or three inches of separation before the glue will cool off and you will have to put it back in for another cook session. I had to do this process about four or five times per housing.

9. Once both housings are apart you still need to remove the remainder of the bonding agent. If you don’t have a heat gun you will have to keep doing the ten minute cookers till you remove it all and have only a clean channel in the backing left. The heat gun is much faster for this process so if you don’t have one try to borrow one for the project.

10. Once all of the adhesive is gone remove the amber lens and chrome bezel from the backing.

11. As for paint you can do one of two processes. On my first housing I used a scotch bright pad and roughed up the surface, applied an adhesion promoter (Dupli-color), and painted the bezel with a semi-gloss enamel. On the second bezel I skipped the scotch bright step and the over all result was slightly better. The adhesion promoter works well for providing a nice chemical bond. I got my paint and adhesion promoter at Auto-Zone.

12. I did the same steps on the amber lens to make them black.

13. Once the paint was completely dry I re-assembled the bezel and reattached it to the lens. I was careful to clean all surfaces prior to reassembly as any fingerprints or particles will be sealed in for good.

14. I then purchased a tube of black RTV silicone and placed a generous bead along the channel located in the backing. Press the assembly together. Once together I used a tie down to keep pressure on the assembly. Not too much as it will cause the lens to flex and when you remove the tie down it will flex back, possibly causing a seal leak.

15. I used the tie down for about an hour then removed it once the silicone dried to the touch. I then used three pieces of blue painters tape to secure the lens overnight.

16. The next morning I applied another bead of silicone along the seam and let it set for about two hours. I then reinstalled the rubber light grommets, screws, and tape.

17. Reinstall the housings and buy the wife flowers cuz she will be pissed about locking her out. This process took me about six hours alone, probably could have gotten it done faster with a second set of hands.

I hope this helps and I will certainly answer any questions.

#8 ·
I did it in 7hrs. On my second headlight I left it in for 15 minutes and it made a big differance. I used some non latex gloves once I got everything apart that helped keep fingerprints off everything. I also recommend you purchase 2 cans of paint. I also used Rustolem lense tint on the reflector and my mirror lights. Biggest advice is take your time prying the lense from the bucket if its not easy then put it back in the oven. The lense also sits in a groove in the bucket pretty deep maybe 1/4" I just made sure I got the screwdrivers inder the lense.

#10 ·
I have never done Ford headlamps.....but on other headlamps I've done anywhere from 250*-300*, leaving the oven on while they are in. IMO, easier to separate with two people....we have done at least 20 pairs of lights in the last 3 months.

I just set them on the rack in the oven. Nothing else.

#14 ·
Do one at a time that way you only mess one up. I usually break everything I touch so I usually stick with playing with steel. Its rather simple as long as you follow the directions and make sure when your prying the lense off you get the screwdrivers all the way under the lense.

#18 ·
Could someone please post a picture of how the lights look wth the headlights on in the dark? I must be missing something, the blacked out lights look bitchin, but do the parking/turn signal lights still function correctly after the mod? Please forgive my ignorance!

#19 ·
The reflector is held in by 3 screws. I have seen them painted and tinted. I tinted my with Rustoleum lense tint. Mine are really dark because I applied 4 coats but I plan on putting in a LED marker bulb when I can get one. I will try to get them tomorrow and post some pics.

#21 ·
I just got a couple new stock headlights from a buddy of mine. I'm going to be taking them apart and painting them over the next couple of days. I'll put some pics up during and after the process. Wish me luck, haha!

#22 ·
Sweet. Good luck. I wanna try it soon

#24 ·
i left my oven on 275 and rotated the headlites every 15 min. take one out and put the second one in while i was digging the glue out of the first. it took three rounds for each lite for me to get the lens seperated, bout 2 hrs. those lights are pretty tuff, thought for sure i was gonna break something prying them apart but they held up!

#25 ·
I got both of the lights disassembled yesterday and painted up. Wasn't too bad, took about 5 heat cycles each at 250 degrees. Cleaing the adhesive out of the backing was the most time consuming. A heat gun definitely helps. I'll be reassembling them this afternoon...we'll see how they turn out!

#27 ·
So would you say if I started at like 8 in the morning can I get it all done by night. I never get an extra day to let my truck sit she has work to do. Hoping I can get this done and installed fast.

Will be me and a buddy so should go fast I am thinking. At least taking our time for the dissassembly part.

#28 ·
i would give myself extra time for screw ups. I always have to, ive not done this but if you get in a hurry it would be hard to fix it

#30 ·
I'm sure it could be done in a day, but I don't think I'd risk it. The longer you can give the paint to dry, the better. Plus, if you use RTV, it takes 24 hours to fully cure. Windshield adhesive would be a better choice for a one day job.

#31 ·
OK, finally posting a pic of the finished headlights. They turned out pretty dang good if I don't say so myself! I used VHT NiteShades for the reflector and ahesion promoter and gloss black for the bezel.

I plan on changing to a FX4 white grille shell and color matching the bumpers as well.

Attachments

#33 ·
Mine turned out great except for the first one. It kooks good during the day but the clear piece has heat marks in it. To many times in the oven. Id turn the process to 11 or 12 minutes in the oven. You can be pretty violent to the housings as well. Cant believe what they took.

#34 ·
Does anyone on here paint theese for other people. Everyone keeps saying its not that bad but i would rather have someone who has done it before paint mine. Im to damn nervous im going to screw them up and dish out cash for new ones. If anyone is willing id like mine done

#36 ·
There is really no need to be nervous. The lenses are extremely strong. Get yourself a helper and a couple good prying screwdrivers and you'll have them apart in no time. Mine turned out great the first time I did it...however, it is so time consuming it's not worth most people's time. Follow the directions and you'll be good to go! If you have any questions, just let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.