Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Need Help Fast! Truck is in the air

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
Ok woke up today to 3 inches of snow, went to leave for work, locked in my hubs jumped in flipped the switch to 4 high, the 4x4 light came on, but no 4 wheel drive figured a sticky locking hub, and sure enough 2 minutes later it kicked in, got it in my shop now, figured i'd service the manual hubs, so i pulled the passenger side manual hub and the axle shaft had a lot of play, (up&down in&out) called my ace mechanic and he said just go get a spindle bearing and new seal, and pull the hub and replace the bearing and seal, so i went and picked up the parts and got back, jacked it up pulled the hub and behind the hub it was full of this weird grey powder, possibly the remnents of some kind of thrust bearing or something, Is there some kind of bearing between the hub and the big flat part of the axle shaft???? I can't find a diagram of how it is supposed to look in there or what parts are supposed to be in there, anyone know?? short of me pulling the other hub to find out.. Please help

#2 ·
Cant find a diagram handy.

On my truck theres the seal thats pressed onto the axle shaft that is pushed into the axle hub assembly with the axle. Then theres a thrust washer with groves that allow vacuum in for the auto locking hubs. That washer could of been what went bad and caused the grey stuff.

#3 ·
There is a plastic thrust washer behind the hub
QUAD 4 x4
look at this site for a breakdown of all the parts in there

#4 ·
From that site this is the one I bet he's seeing the left overs from.

#5 ·
Agreed.....I tore one down awhile back that was the same way. The inner needle bearing was bad and so was the stub shaft. After that I pulled mine apart just to check....it was OK

#7 ·
The picture Crowz posted is the correct part....it goes on the stub shaft behind the wheel bearing assembly. It's plastic with the grooves to let vacuum into the hub for the ESOF auto hubs. Just google "Quad 4x4" and go to Ford axle parts section. They have some good info and you can download a complete guide to the front axle in .pdf for 5 bucks.

#8 ·
I literally just finished replacing my unit bearings and ball joints. Those pictures are 100% the bearing between the hub and flat part of the seal. The side with the four grooves goes inward to the seal. Make sure you put a coat of grease on both sides first.

When you were driving on that shot needle bearing the wobble and heat likely chewed it up.

#9 ·
Yeah that's the weird thing, The spindle bearing was fine, Not sure what caused the poly thrust bearing to fail, But it did in a big way, There's alot of gauling on the stub axle flange and the hub bearing, where they have been riding against each other, And the manual hub is now shot also, I will have all the parts on monday from the stub axle out, The diesel shop i'm getting the parts from want's to see the old parts cause they say they have never heard of this before, I wish i have never heard of this either...

#11 ·
Maybe if they were part in the past someone installed it backwards and or with no lube? The hub maybe had an issue and cooked it all somehow as well?

#10 ·
That quad 4x4 place had the best price on the stub axle part I had found when I replaced mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.