Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

anyone run a locker or LS in the front axle??

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  cshsrh 
#1 ·
looking to put a locker or some kind of posi unit in the front axle of my 04. i was looking at those powertrax lockers. im going with a trutrac for the back, thought about puttin the same up front as well. anyone done this? how do they handle on the street? just wondering how the truck is gonna handle with something like that in front. obviously it would only matter when the truck is in 4x4 or at least with the hubs locked in. i was thinkin a locker would be better because it would act like an open diff when not on the throttle. but idk i just need some opinions here. thanks

#4 ·
well i wasnt looking to spend that much money and didnt want the hassle of hookin up the arbs. i dont do much off roading, except in hunting season and deep snow occasionally in the winter. i am gonna start pulling with the truck tho too. but its also a daily driver with all the mods in my sig. just wanted a good mechanical unit but wasnt sure how it would act with it being up front on turns with the hubs locked in.

#5 ·
I know someone that has a trutrac as his front differential. It wouldn't be my choice since I experience real winters. It was the reason I went with a selectable. Look at an e-locker if you want a cheaper selectable. Otherwise keep it open.

#6 ·
I personally wouldn't use the powertrax locker. It is a cheaper alternative but not neer as strong as one that fully replaces the carrier. The powertrax replaces just the spiders. If you read the info on them they say for light use of under 400 horsepower and 33" tall tire max. I can't remeber if that was for the powertrax or for a similar unit. But with how much diesel trucks weigh and the torque i would be afraid of breaking it. And i have a truck with a welded front and it has one direction, straight. I would be afraid that with street use with a locker in the front it would be fully locked when you get to a turn and you would be off the road. I would use an arb or possibly a very light limited slip if you plan to use 4 wheel on the road. If you just want to pull with it and drive around in 2 wheel i would go with an arb or detroit.

#7 ·
yea thats what i was afraid of with the lockers. a truetrac would seem like a better selection since they offer smooth operation in the rears when turning, guess it would just be a trial and error thing. ill check into the elockers as well. but i think they are a lil pricey too. i just switched jobs and im on a budget right now so thats why im tryin save the money where i can, but i wont skimp on it if i dont think its gonna be well suited for the app yanno

#8 ·
i have a true trac in the front of mine and really like it. Haven't used it a whole lot but it dosn't do anything weird even when locked in on pavement and turning. I also like that it dosn't need ever need maintainence ,additives , air compressers, or electrical stuff.

#9 ·
If you plan on running a non selectable locker go with the Detroit - for selectable go with an ARB or OX.

With our wheelbase length the Detroit is not an issue when it engages, it will take some getting used to but just drive easy until you are used to it while in 4 wheel drive and the hubs are locked.

When in 4x4 and hubs locked and you apply power the Detroit will lock and act like a spool until you let off the gas or bind the unit hard enough for it to ratchet, this can cause some unexpected pulls to the left or right or push the front end in a corner(if it's slick), if you let off the gas it will release and act like a stock open carrier.

Again, take it slow at first and get used to it.

The ARB and OX are both selectable and act like a stock open carrier when disengaged and act like a spool when engaged.

All 3 are stronger units than the stock carrier so no worries there

Go over to pirate4x4.com and do some reading on all 3 for more info. Those of us that rock crawl have put these units through 10x's the abuse they will see in your truck ;)

#10 ·
I've been researching this a bit and it seems like the Detroit Locker is the better way to go, especially for the front. I don't ever run 4wd on the streets. So the locker will only affect my driving while offroad, and in a positive way. I know for a fact that it will be engaged and ready to go full time.

For the rear, the full locker seems to cause issues in smaller vehicles, but not much, if at all, in full size trucks. Seems to be a your results may vary case. But, I just may go with a full locker in the rear too for the same reasons above.

I'm really worried about the truetrac though. It seems to be an "automatic" locker. So you're relying on it to engage at the right times. Hmmmm, just not sure I would depend on something like that, especially after age.

Are my worries justified?

#12 ·
If you are going to be strictly pulling that is great. But if you plan on doing any drag racing, I wouldn't put a locker in the front. Guys have always told me that if it were to break with you launching, your ass is going for a ride.

#14 ·
I run a Lockright in the front. I love it. I run 35" tires. Cheap easy install.

It does create a strong return-to-center feel when you are on the accelerator (hubs locked and in 4x4, of course). Got used to that pretty quick.

With the hubs locked in 2wd, it will occasionally grab or shudder on a tight turn.. Once again... no big deal.

#15 ·
I am still trying to learning, so please bear with me haha. My only experience is with small trucks and midsize trucks. In my ranger I run a rebuilt limited slip in a 9". I have never noticed a problem at all. When ever I am in the dirt both tires always spin. On the street when I go around corners it drives like a stock truck, but when I get on the gas it will spin both tires. Same if I drop the clutch at a stop light both 35" tires will spin. I have driven the truck through a ton of stuff and never once wished I had a locker or spool. Through the sand out in glamis, a yamaha rhino couldn't keep up with my 2wd truck.

I don't know if it is any difference, but I will be sticking with a limited slip 100% in the rear of this truck.

Something else I have been told. With front ends that you have to lock the hubs, if you do a locker or weld the diff, you can always just leave one hub unlocked so it's 3 wheel drive. If you're going to get into a hairy situtation, stop and lock the other hub :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.