Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

JL sub VS. Kicker sub

12K views 73 replies 21 participants last post by  00'nasty7.3 
#1 ·
so im wanting to do a system in my truck, and got everything i want lined up, but cant come to a conclusion on what sub i want.. heres the options

2' 10" kicker subs

or

1' 13" JL sub.

which one would be louder and better sound? or any other recommendations. Not real familiar with all this sound stuff so dont laugh at me! LOL :psn: thanks

#4 ·
in my 7.3 ex cab i had one JL 10W7 ...i still have it if you're interested. it hit so damn hard i never turned it all the way up. i believe the speaker itself is about 5-600 new ..i bought it off ebay with a tiny hole in the paper, JL said it would not be effected if i sealed it, and it wasnt. the quality is pretty hard to touch, its definitely one of the best out there, unless you go into high end stuff.

#17 ·
What type of music do you listen to mostly? And what year / model truck do you have? The JL 13TW5 is a great sub but something else may work better depending on your musical preference.

STAY AWAY from the Kicker CVT's. Kicker has some great subs but those are not some of them.

Other good choces would be...

Pioneer TSSW3001S4
Hertz ES300
Stereo Integrity BM Mk III

#33 ·
#39 ·
Digital Designs and DC Sound Labs make the best subs on the planet in my opinion. I won many World Championships and set World records with both but neither of them offer a sub that would work well in a 97 regular cab.

American Bass should not be included in your list of "awesome".

#36 ·
Matt (motoxracer42) has one 13w7 running off of a JL 1000x1 and it is mind blowing how loud a single can be. There is a pic of the box in the article in Diesel World mag.

#43 ·
I am not Kickers biggest fan by a long shot. But comparing a cvt to DD (any model, or many of the others listed above) is like comparing apples to Oranges. The price is waaayyyy lower for the cvt. Not everybody wants to spend 350 and up on a single driver.

And Kicker is not junk. I love JL and DD, but my l7's are loud as all hell with almost no power to them. They hit a 150 in my EX with no extra battery, and powered by 2 d2400's running a 4ohm load. That is less than 800 to each driver. If I pulled them down to 1 (the amp is stable there) and put in the extra batt, It would be a painful 153 or more. And that is in a box tuned at 28hz. If I tuned it to about 45 and put more power I could easily be doing hair tricks. Its all about how much you want to spend.

#53 ·
i had a huge 50 pound jl12w7 but the lows faded out so i found in a truck with less cab space u want to go with smaller diameter speakers so i swiched to two jl 10w3 in a ported box and i love it, so u deffinelty want to go with the two 10s but if u can jl the beter way to go, my 10s are louder than my friends kicker 12s and everyone agrees

#62 ·
The local audio dealers from where im at quit dealing kicker 3 years ago.. cause they are real terrible! Not only do they blow easy, IMHO i think there pretty quiet and sound like crap.. Especially compared to JL.. iv always wanted to hear 3 JL 8s for like metal and hardcore music but have never known anyone to purchase those..

#65 ·
You're kidding about the little cheaper right? 229 vs 370? And that's agains a w6, not even a w7...you're on crack dude.
Kicker 08S12L74 12" Solo-Baric L7 Car Subwoofer (S12L7, S12L74)
Kicker 08S12L74 12" Solo-Baric L7 Car Subwoofer (S12L7, S12L74)

I'm sorry, but what the majority of people don't realize is, you can take the best sub and put it in a schit box, and guess what, it sounds like schit. Or you can take a subpar sub, make a box that accentuates the strong suits of a sub, and it sounds amazing.

#66 ·
You're kidding about the little cheaper right? 229 vs 370? And that's agains a w6, not even a w7...you're on crack dude.
Ease up on the ol'boy. He's talking local prices and he's not far off. Depending on where you go up here, the Kicker stuff is pretty pricey and we have some JL dealers we can get some decent pricing from.

I personally have run JL's before on a couple different trucks and was able to get the subs I was buying cheaper or at the same prics that I could get the "comparable" Kicker's. That being said, it was quite a few years ago.

Back on track -

To the OP - Did you get your sub installed and if so, how's it sound?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.