Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Texas-KR build...

13K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Texas-KR 
#1 ·
I guess my recommendations worked pretty good for him.

Texas-KR said:
Here's the pics. 2.5" leveling kit with 38x15.5x18. I ran up on a 3' tall stack of logs to get it to flex a bit. Didn't hit at all. There was about 1" between the tire and fender, but the fender needs to be pulled back more. I didn't screw in the inside Bushwacker screws yet.

2003 F250 King Ranch Crew Cab FX4 6.0L

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks GREAT!!!

You get much more usable off road performance by keeping things lower and filling the wheel wells by trimming the fenders to fit the larger tires. Most people I think scared to go cutting sheet metal. Mine will end up look very close to this but with a 4.5 hanger 5" Deavers or Icon out back go over to the Bushwacker cutout to fit the SS M16 40x14.50x20s

On the second to last picture is that rear fully compressed onto the bump stops?

#4 ·
Wanted to see how close to the top of the cutouts they get when they are fully stuffed. It looks like it was really close on the rear edge on the front wheels. There is almost no lift but it did clear them. I can see where he can still pull back that inner fender plastic more before he screws in the rear edges.

#6 ·
How in the heck do you do any real off roading with the factory steering shock not being bent????

Everytime Ive tried putting one on my truck its bent in the first 5 minutes of offroading.

#8 ·
ya i was wonderin about that front block.....def. think i woulda gone with a hanger kit for the safety standpoint

#10 ·
Well since I bend mine going up my driveway that would get kind of old now wouldnt it :D

Ive got to get a kit one of these days to mount the stabilizer somewhere else other than the stupid stock location.

#17 ·
If I miss anything, let me know.

Here is the kit I have. It does bolt through.
FORD SUPERDUTY F250-F350 1999-04 LEVELING LIFT KIT 2.5" - eBay (item 250429469622 end time Dec-12-10 19:50:11 PST)
I bought it before I got my pay raise and just wanted a leveling kit. In a few months, I'll be going with one of the leafspring to coilover conversion kits.

There was about 1" between the tire and the front's rear fender. However, since I'm going to Line-X them and pull them off, I didn't install the inner screws that pull them back a little more.

Cutting the fenders was a breeze. I bought a $60 air shear from Northern Tool, and a reciprocating saw which I've always wanted to buy anyways. Took all day to do it, but it was easy. Like in Tank's thread, there's plenty room for error.

The rear wasn't really hitting the bump stop. It was just the towing helper spring hitting it. The main springs were a long way from the bump stop.

How do you bend the steering shock? By literally hitting a rock against it? I've been researching the kits, but I'd like to find one that places it up the highest. Any suggestions for that?

I did all this 2 weeks ago and went playing the same weekend. There's always more mods to come.

#18 ·
Anytime you drop a wheel off in a good size rut on the side the shock mounts at its insta bend for the steering shock.

Im still shopping for a mount kit. Found a few just everytime I think of getting one Ive already blown my toy money on something else :D

#21 ·
You could weld your own tabs/brackets on and place them on top exactly where you want and not have to worry about it any more. You could also drill and tap a couple holes etc and for the cost of a basic dual stabilizer kit have a hydro assist steering ram.

#24 ·
TARM, I looked up that hydro assist from West Texas Offroad. Looks real easy to install. Would I no longer need any steering dampners if I have that?

Only problem I would see with it would be that it could cause some damage trying to turn the wheel against a stuck situation since you lose the "feel". Looks like it could break some joints.

#25 ·
Yes it completely replaces the steering dampener. As far that loosing feel it does become easier but you do not loose all feel. Its only assist not full hydro. Now that said if you want to force it yes its possible but you will know it when you are doing it. It also is not very likely if you use some common sense.

You can actually do it yourself for about half that but it is nice if you do not want to mess with drilling and tapping the holes etc. Of all the ones WTOR is by far the most reasonable. They do very good work and are helpful.

When you mount it you can weld the tabs so it will place the ram up over or behind and protected for off road'n

#27 ·
I can show you. Its not hard. If you took a gear apart it would be apparent. The thing is to make sure you have the clearace inside but there is plenty. You only need 1/4 hose and fittings. 1.5" dual action ram 8 1/2" throw.

I planned to do a DIY write up for people to use as I have gotten a number of PM emails requesting it. I wanted to get good pics of everything so I was going to do it when I convert my current Xcursion. If you need is sooner ( a few week is what I had planned) I can see if I can draw it up for you. You should also do at least a flow mod to the pump. Again not hard. The only other thing you will need to do is increase the res size to account for the fluid of the ram. The easiest way is to take radiator hose and clamp it to the fill port and then use the original cap for the top. Obviously if you are looking for better looks etc you can get more elaborate for this.

The big tools you need are a drill press. A full size is preferable with a vise mounted to the table. Good drill bits. A NPT tap. Then some hand tools.

#32 ·
This stuff seems to have increased badly over the last 4-5 years down there.

Well at least your truck should stick out a bit with the flares and tires. Not like you can not hear that truck coming a few miles away.

I am really sorry to hear it got stolen. Insurance never seems to cover what you actually have in them.

Keep us updated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.