Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

tire pressure

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  eleventhtruck 
#1 ·
I am getting 285/75/16 load range E bfg km2 tires to put on stock 2004 rims. I dont think I should put the max amount of air in them since the rim is technically too small for tire. I was thinking around 65psi all around, Does this sound about right?

#2 ·
2004 rims on a obs? That wont work. Just drive it, if the hair on the tires is all gone then your good, if its gone in the center of the tire but not totally off on the edges your over inflated every truck is different. usually i like to keep the front say like 60 psi and the rear (since there is no weight unless i am pulling) at 40-45

#6 ·
If you never tow anything your rear tires will be drastically lower in pressure than the front tires. (IE: front-60 psi, rear-40psi)

#5 ·
If you ever have a question as to what tire pressure you should run while empty.... try the chalk test.

Simply take kids sidewalk chalk, and draw a straight line across the tread of the tires. Drive the truck so the tires make a few revolutions, then get out and look at how the chalk is wearing off.

If it's wearing off the middle faster than the edges, then you're over-inflated.

If it's wearing off the edges faster than the middle, then you're under-inflated.

If it's wearing evenly all the way across the tread, then you're just right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.