Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Gear oil leaking out of axle tube

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  04.52.6driver 
#1 ·
I have gear oil leaking out of the pass axle tube. The leak is the same amount of fluid everytime I drive then stop. What seal is most likely to be the cause, whats involved in changing this seal, and where is the best place to buy?

thanks

#2 ·
Mine does the same thing but on the drivers side. If you are talking about your front diff the seal is inside the housing behind the carrier bearings. they are not cheap.

#3 ·
So are you just going to let it puddle until the oil level is below the leak, or are you planning on fixin it?

#5 ·
I will fix it. But for now it only leaks for a day or 2 after using 4 wheel dirve. I checked the oil the other day it only took a few OZ's. not hardly worth doing. It has been leaking like that for about 2 years now. it is on the list to do. Just a matte of when. I have the Seals in the tool box but not enough room to pull the long axle out while the truck is in the garage. When I get off My A$$ to do it I think I will just make a weekend out of it. (Turbo,Injectors as well)

#4 ·
its the axle seal as mentioned above, it need to be replaced from inside.

remove wheels, brakes, bearings, axles
pull diff cover to drain fluid
remove main caps and carrier
pop out seals and install new one(you will need to find something to drive the seals in) i use a socket that fits the seal and enough extensions to extend out the opposite axle tube then hit the extensions

reassemble and refill

basic instructions but its pretty straight forward once your in there
will take about 1.5 hrs doin it on the ground

#6 ·
I'm having the balljoints done next monday, and the mechanic doing the job said he would put 2 new seals in the diff for $120.00. I have to buy the 2 seals.
Seems fair to me.

#7 ·
Yep, my driver side is leaking and I have been dreading doing this, mainly 'cause I have never done it before and everyone I talk to about makes it sound like it is rocket science or something. Basically three different mechanic buddies of mine blew me off when I asked about it...

From what BigRed97 posted, it should be straight forward once you get in there I guess. I am not looking forward to doing it this winter here--->

#8 ·
It is not that bad realy. all the parts got a good amount of weight to them. Some come off hard. if your axle has never came apart you probably will fight everything off.

#9 ·
just remember to keep the carrier caps and shims on the correct side when it comes apart and you wont have any problems.

the so called "rocket science" part of diffs comes in when you have to set up the gears, ie. pinion depth/preload, contact pattern etc... but even that isnt to bad once you know what your doin

#10 ·
Got a leaking drivers side also. The front is already tore down to this point, so I'm going to replace it. Never done any of this before ,so I need some clarification on the "pretty straight forward" part. Do the seals get removed by knocking them from the inside out and putting the new ones in from the outside? Also the do gears come out after removing just the caps? When putting the gears back in, just reverse exactly how they came out and it's that easy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.