Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

"crank" a torsion bar

15K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Fordfreak4life 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what this means? my friend is on a dodge forum and they use this term to get an extra inch of lift on their trucks. but the term "crank" still doesnt work for me...
any idea of what they are actually doing?

#2 ·
a torsion bar is a form of suspension.... rather than having springs it works off torsional dampening of a rod mounted to the lower A arm..... there are keys at the rear of the shafts that can be adjusted to adjust the ride height and smoothness of the ride

#4 ·
the only dodge that would have tb's would be the half tons...

Google torsion bar and see what you come up with. You realyl dont know what a torsion bar is? I personally hate them and every vehicle Ive owned that had them.

the bigger ram pickups use coils in the front and leafs in the back....not a torsion bar to be found.

#6 ·
ford freak is right on with his statement. you can tighten the torsion key to gain height, but your ride quality goes to ####. my neighbor did a level kit on his chevy 2500, and it came with bigger keys to lift it, and man, when he hits a bump or even goes over a speed bump, it feels like his is riding on bricks. it hits so hard....

#10 ·
after a little light reading about torsion spring suspensions I learned things I was not aware of about rotating "cranking" on the adjuster bolts on the torsion key. you can over rotate them and pretty much ride on the bump stops haha and in the end lifting/lowering your truck.

thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.