Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Injectors Lost in mail, USPS wants to know what their worth...

3K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Stroken7.3 
#1 ·
Stroked 99_1/2 sold me some AD split shots out of his truck, however they seem to have been lost as they have not showed up in nearly a month. I called the post office today and they are not there, guy said to fill out a form and they will compensate me for the value of the lost goods. This was a flat rate box and I really hope he wasn't thinking of something that was insured or whatever. So what are they worth? Guess new ones from ford are $300 each so $2400?!?! :D

#4 ·
I just called to double check, guy is pretty sure that all flat-rate boxes are covered. Just need a receipt from the sender saying what the value of the goods in the box

#3 ·
I see why you want to say $2400, but don't you pay taxes? Be honest and tell them the price you paid for them. IIRC he wanted $300 or $400. Anything over that is coming out of everyones pocket that pays taxes. And remember you posted this on a public forum and I'm sure the government would consider it FRAUD :eek:. Just think about it is all I'm saying.

#6 ·
I totally see your point and feel that way myself, however to me a set of working 7.3 injectors is worth much more then $300, just because that's what I paid doesn't mean that is what they are worth.

#7 ·
:whs:
They didnt ask how much you paid for them, the asked HOW MUCH THEY ARE VALUED. i dont know about you but my truck running is worht at lot more than $300

#9 ·
:whs:

Grandma sends you a $100 dollar Christmas gift and they loose it, does that mean they shouldn't insure it because you didn't pay for it?

#11 ·
Usually anything in excess of 100 buck reuires additional insurance to be purchased.
More then likely your gona hit that wall.

You may have paid 300 but good luck replacing them for that.
The core charge value is 8or900 that is what they are worth,
But I would be happy with 500. If you get it.

#13 ·
I would chase the recovery dept heavy, ie ask what they do with lost packages .
Worse yet if they were not say put in zip bags, wrapped in a towel and bagged again, they might have puked out oil and diesel. That would prob get them tagged as pipe bombs...
Small tubes with wires and big spikes in the center when xray'd.......yipes

I'd check that one out as well.

#14 ·
they get sent to a hub and i think eventually get auctioned off, thats what a guy at the P.O said to me when i was lookin for a package...yea if he didnt insure them......you prob wont get your money back, needless to say its going to take alot of fighting.

#15 ·
Also when ever you can, go to the usps web site to get postage.
Box her up weigh it log on to usps , you should get free delivery conf possibly a discount.

When you print the label, it is more clear to read, it puts machine readable bar codes for better sorting, and you don't wait in line so long.

#16 ·
Its not about personal value per say. Look at the way normal insurance claims are made on products that do not have unique or personal value above the norm. It is what you would have to reasonably pay to replace those injectors along with any costs incurred to replace them. You lie and tell them those were new injectors an they find them and see they are not you just commented a federal crime. What does a retainer for a lawyer cost for a federal case these days?

But I think you are gonna find out its all moot. You said you mailed it flat rate box as in Priority Mail Flat Rate Box correct? You did not pay for any added Insurance by filling out one of the green insurance card form which also would have automatically includes Delivery Confirmation? If you did not pay for that extra insurance which is sounds like you did not the item has the default coverage which is up to a whopping $100.

Still you are going to need to go file to get your $100 if they never find the box. BTW most times it will show up it sometimes ends up getting into a wrong container and ends up in some other town across the country. It eventually makes it way back.

Regardless you need to now go in to the P.O. and fill out form #1000 to request the claim if you want to get even that $100 back. You are going to have to prove cost of item sent (purchase receipt/picture/payment acceptance receipt) You will have to see what will work for this. It may take some time but its a whole lot better than it use to be. Now you will actually get your money.

Just an FYI: No matter how much over you might try insure an item for you still only get what would the actual value of the item at the time it was mailed. Don;t think you can insure a $5 vase and insure it for the max $5K and cash in if its broken.

I got to know the system very well as I was sending up to 50 -75 boxes a week via USPS Priority Mail all were insured for the full retail value of the product varying in value from $800-$3000. I ALWAYS paid to insure them for their full value but no more than that.

#17 ·
OK well 26 days later they came back to Sheldon's house, man I love out government. Guess well try that again, I almost took my old ones out so I could start putting hte new ones in when I get them in, glad I didn't do that.

#28 ·
Wrong. If you spend $1 on a lottery ticket and win $200,000,000 you're not gonna get taxed on just that $1 you spent.

If you find a killer one of a kind "whatever" and pay a dollar for it then find out it's worth a million, good for you! You hit the jackpot. You should sell it at for a million. Or would that be dishonest?:poke:

#26 ·
I would just make sure the sender repackages them in a NEW box and clearly labels your name and address. Please Buy the confirmation tag and extra insurance so you can track it and have peace of mind that the "real value" of those injectors will be covered

#27 ·
There are one of only two quasi Gov agencies that operate more as autonomous corporation that typical Gov agency that have also been self funded even profitable. USPS and the Fed Reserve. The USPS does technically receive a small amount of tax payer money each year but it is not for operation. They receive around $96 million is budgeted annually by Congress for the "Postal Service Fund." These funds are used to compensate USPS for postage-free mailing for all legally blind persons and for mail-in election ballots sent from US citizens living overseas. A portion of the funds also pays USPS for providing address information to state and local child support enforcement agencies, and for keeping some rural posts offices in operation.

Other than that, since the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970 they do not or have not received tax money for operations other than the payment of stamps which were considered a tax. U.S. Postal Service is a semi-independent federal agency, mandated to be revenue-neutral. That is, it is supposed to break even, not make a profit.

In 1982, U.S. postage stamps became "postal products," rather than a form of taxation. Since then, The bulk of the cost of operating the postal system has been paid for by customers through the sale of "postal products" and services rather than taxes.

Each class of mail is also expected to cover its share of the costs, a requirement that causes the percentage rate adjustments to vary in different classes of mail, according the costs associated with the processing and delivery characteristics of each class.

According to the costs of operations, U.S. Postal Service rates are set by the Postal Regulatory Commission according to the recommendations of the Postal Board of Governors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.