DIY IC Pipe Painting? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 1999-2010 Super Duty General Aftermarket
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Myles_S
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

DIY IC Pipe Painting?

Any of yall painted your IC pipes yourself? What all did you do for prep? How'd you paint it? Clearcoat?

Any thing you can throw out there for me...

Pics are great too
I ride solo, being able to converse with yourself is a skill that creeps up on you.
Black Ops 360
Gamertag; See Ya LATER 73
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Ron's power stroke
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
Member's Gallery

Re: DIY IC Pipe Painting?

everythig but the alt and A/C is in 2100* ceramic paint..very lightly bead blasted..primed with primer made for the ceramic...painted.. then baked in an old cook oven...not seen in the picture but the plenums and pedistal are also done with blue ceramic... the alt and A/C are done in high temp primer then high temp paint..i didnt like the fact it came out darker...ill fix that when the new motor goes in..

Early 99 7.3 F350 auto,TN T-4 mount with a s467 for air,H-11's stud's SRP 1.1 for oil all supplied by unlimited diesel..beehives, DI push rod's, new alliant 315/200 hybrids,Driven diesel fuel system with a fuel lab 41401. ...tuned by Gearhead..

88 F250 7.3 IDI plow truck 112k - bone stock.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Mamba6.4
Dennab
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron's power stroke View Post
everythig but the alt and A/C is in 2100* ceramic paint..very lightly bead blasted..primed with primer made for the ceramic...painted.. then baked in an old cook oven...not seen in the picture but the plenums and pedistal are also done with blue ceramic... the alt and A/C are done in high temp primer then high temp paint..i didnt like the fact it came out darker...ill fix that when the new motor goes in..

I think the darker looks better anyways :O!

Nice setup
Old 11-21-2010, 01:00 AM
IL7.3 Powerstroker
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to IL7.3 Powerstroker

me too!!!!!

2002 F-350 Supercab longbed
AFE intake Bully Dog 5" exhaust
Swamps sticks, DP tuned
Old 11-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Stroke00
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I just wire wheeled mine and hit them with some rattle can.

2005 F-250 Lariat ccsb 4x4 auto: All stock for now
Old 11-21-2010, 04:22 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

Mine is just rattle canned also. Wire wheel, wiped down with acetone. About ten coats.

Installed with dirty hands, went through a heat cycle or three, grease marks live there now.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:09 AM
TARM
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron's power stroke View Post

What caused the difference in the color shade? Primer change?

Was this stuff in a spray can or did you use a real sprayer? Can you give some more details on it all?

I have a whole turbo kit turbo dual HPOP etc all here I am getting ready to install and would love to spray it all like that. I too actually like the darker shade but woudl likely want to try and be close to ford blue.

Looks like my blast cabinet and parts cleaner tank will be getting some more work soon.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Ron's power stroke
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
Member's Gallery

sounds like you got some fun mod's going in..congrats..the ford blue i bead blasted very lightly, primed with high heat primer then sprayed very thin layers of ceramic with a gun..a friend of mine that works at a body shop got me the primer and ceramic paint...i see it in rattle cans as well...not sure if its the same or not...its been posted here but i cant remember what the 3 letters where..EHV maybe?? (ill look for the name after work). then after about an hour of drying time..I baked the pipes in an old cook oven i had for 30 minutes at 250* then take them out to cool for 30 minutes then again in the oven to 400* for 30 min and cool for 30 again..back to the oven set at 600* for 30 min and cool again for 30 min..I used the direction for the ceramic but did a second bake at 600* just because I wanted to... ill tell ya what..this stuff is rock hard when its baked...I can see why it holds up....i did the alt and A/C a week or two before i did the rest..it is high heat paint and was from a rattle can..i like that blue as well but could not get ceramic to match up...
Old 11-21-2010, 08:00 AM
TARM
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Cool yeh I have taken some time to put a whole list of upgrades together to do all at once. I figured if I was gonna have everything torn apart I might as well do it all at once.

What is great is I can do things like the AC, PW steering, alt as I have time. I have a old spray gun but have never used one in my life. I think I will go the rattle can route and do really light coats to keep it smooth.

Will do the valve cover as well since I will be all in there.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:52 PM
bill4d
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARM View Post
Will do the valve cover as well since I will be all in there.
You might consider doing a soundproofing coating on the valve covers instead of just a decorative coating. I think others have had decent results in quieting the engine noise when using a coating on the valve covers. Just a thought as long as you're that far into the engine.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 130
03_PSD, 06TWO50Diesel, 07_powerstroke, 20007.3stroker, 2000wa250, 4duggan, 7.3SuperDuty, 8inchstroker, 94powerstroke, 95powersmoker, 99oilburner, 99powerstroke, AJF, apollyon9515, Arisley, badluck_early99, BigBlueDually, BigDeal21, bigjas, BigRed97, BigSilverHD, bill4d, brahum, brayden_ryder, Buford-61, bullbasin, BURNSY_B_STROKIN, CanadianPS, caseih7010, CCSracer13, CDP, ChaseN, chassross2003, chopper, cota, Cowboyup, crabbelle, darklcdfeller, Dieselpop, Dieseltron, dmstrucks02, Dog86, doubledoor, drkndzl22, Duracrap, Dustin F2504x4, ed3196499, F-25000, farm boy, fishstick, fordboy11, gaf350, GNEMUDN94, helsel_182, hypersnyper694788, IL7.3 Powerstroker, jdc753, jonnysteals, juniort444e, jvencius, k-bmiller, Layson, li'l tugger, lightwt1, LILGSX, Logan21SV, maladosteo35, matts05f250sd, mbruce, Mooring Product, MotionmanJCM, mrgto, MrMike06, Myles_S, nwstroker67, Ole, OOWeaver68, Petro, powerstroke02, powerstrokemike, PowerstrokeR00, powr2stroke, Prew32, pro350hydro, PSD2006, PSDnate, QuickSilver74, ridgetd, roadstar, Rockyardjo, Rodknocker, rogers250, rollerink, Ron's power stroke, Ross01, rpm-inc, Sahrens0202, SCPSD, semmens21, shock, smokeem, Smokin6-0, smokin99stroke, sniper_101, SouthFlstrokin', STK97PSD, Stroke00, stroke931, stroked1125, Stroken7.3, Super_Hauler, Tampa450, TARM, tench372, TheSmokinStroke2002, tmars51, tonka350, toverbey21, TxFire, TylerDurden, vader's fury, water_junky, Wheels, Wojo, xrxmxcx, yobuda, zaairman