Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Auxiliary Fuel Tank

12K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  CamTom12 
#1 ·
I am looking at maybe doing a 30 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in the bed of my truck. I found one that is low profile, takes fuel directly in to the tank, and then it goes directly in to the factory fuel tank. It basically eliminates the need to fill up at the factory filler tube, along with giving the truck a total of 60 gallons of fuel. It is also about $500 cheaper than a Titan fuel tank.

Basically I am just looking for input on this from guys who have done it.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I'm thinking of welding together a stainless steel tank with a filler neck and sticking under my saddle box and then using a holley fuel pump to transfer into the main tank and use a timer switch so I don't forget about the transfer pump and leave it on to long.

#5 ·
im doing a 20 gallon auxillary in my toolbox jeff, mine involves a 12volt pump and switch on the dash and pumps it into th fillneck. got about 120$ invested in all of it and all i have left is mounting my tank and filling it up. i jerry rigged a 55 gallon drum for a tank when i went to worlds in topeka and it worked great, didn't have to stop for fuel the whole trip

#8 ·
I have one. I have a RDS brand. Its 55 gallons and i love it. Its low profile and you cant even tell its a fuel tank. All you can see is the tool box. When i bought it i opted for the gravity feed system that ties into the factory filler tube. I use it ALL the time.

RDS Transfer Fuel Tanks
I have the first one. Part number 71789

and this
Diesel Install kits RDS Replacement Parts

#10 ·
check nothern tool they have nice tanks for a real good price, thats where i got mine. 41 gal. direct conect and low profile for a 5th. wheel hitch big bonus is that it fits under my bed cover.

#11 ·
I will get you one in the am

#13 ·
I've got a 100 gallon "L" shape tank in the bed of my truck, pump and nozzle for fueling equipment, not a system for everyone because you still need to stop and put the nozzle in and fuel just like your at a pump. But it is nice when your buddy runs out of fuel somewhere. It works for me because it's nice to be able to fuel my equipment, not for everyone but maybe a option.

#14 ·
I've got a transfer-flow with the guage-computer dealy. It's expensive as hell but its a completely user-independent operation. It's nice to know that if the wife takes it on a road trip I don't have to worry about her running out of fuel or forgetting to turn on (or worse, off!) a gravity feed valve...

Peace of mind was worth some $$ in my case.

#15 ·
i forgot all about this. Im going take pics now.

#16 ·

Tank just sitting in the bed

Fill spout, gauge, and spot to mount a 12v pump. I dont have a pump bc i dont want it to be seen.

valve for the gravity feed

Horrible pic, but you can see the hose come down from the bed going to the check valve.

Check valve. Its the metal thing in the big filler line right on the outside of the frame. With the angle its at its hard to get a pic.

Hope this helps.

#17 ·
Had a custom one made to fit OBS and SD box 60" wide 25"
high and 24" deep. Bottom 10" is a 200 litre (51 US gallon) fuel cell top 15" is a drybox. Drains into front tank via gravity with a ball valve. Works awesome.

Have pix in sig link

jrc

#19 ·
im not sure on that at all. Id call RDS and see. I have called em a few times to get different parts for mine (sight glass for gauge and shocks that open the box) and they was nothing more than helpful and super nice.

#20 ·
I have a heated 80 gallon tank for WVO mounted in my bed, and another 95 gallon L tank with pump that goes in and out as needed. Both of them are RDS.

Mine do not tie into the stock tank, tho.

RDS and ATI are both here in FL.
Both were very helpfull when I dealt with them in the past.

#21 ·
RDS is an excellent tank Jeff. I had one on my old truck. Wish I wouldve taken it out.

Oh well the insurance co gave me replacement value

#22 ·
got mine installed tonite jeff, its not anything fancy like you are looking at buy it works for me haha, its a 20 gallon tank mounted inside my toolbox and has a 12 volt electric pump that pumps directly into my filler neck. I'll have to watch mine closely while the pumps running so i don't overfill the tank but i can deal with that, ill try n get some pics up tomorrow for u guys

#23 ·
I've had a gravity feed tank for all my trucks, 105 gallon tank that feeds the filler neck.

I have not removed the main fill cap in years.

You can get a steel tank and have someone make a dimond cover for it.

#24 ·
Just a question here.....but i get the added travel range of aux tanks.....but for example it i have the following tanks

Bigstrker fuel tank -45 gal

factory front tank- 20 gal

105 gal aux tank- 105 gal

Total fuel 170 gal

looking at that being 7.15 lbs a gallon you are hauling 1200 lbs of fuel

Doesn't this effect the fuel economy, say versus stock OBS at 40 gallons= 300lbs??

#28 ·
Couple of thoughts on this issue:

- Just cause you got it, doesn't mean you have to fill it. My 90 gallon aux fuel tank weighs almost nothing when empty, so no mpg hit there. Around town, I don't keep it filled, although I do refuel my truck via the aux tank 100% of the time. I'll put about $100 per month, so maybe I've got an extra 10-20 gallons around town; 150 lbs max - still no mpg hit, pretty much.

- On the road, not towing, there's probably a potential hit to mpg, although I've never seen it. However, the advantage of not having to refuel except when I want to far exceeds - for me - any potential mpg hit.

- On the road, while towing my 10k lb car hauler and 4800 lb rock crawler/expedition vehicle, I doubt I'd see any change to mpg. The advantage of only having to refuel 3-4 times on a 6000 mile trip far outweighs any potential mpg hit.

My .02.

Al

#25 ·
I could not tell you... If I had to guess my truck gets about 12 mpg. I could care less what the mileage is, I need it, I drive it, I fill it.

Just part of life.

But yes I have a 42 gallon main tank, and 105 bed tank.

#26 ·
yeh i mean the trucks arent great for mileage. I have always been in stock tank trucks. And while filling up every 3-4 hours does suck, I've often wondered if running huge aux tanks does affect fuel mileage just to gain range, versus just refilling frequently.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.