Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Front end noise

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  David N 
#1 ·
Guys need help ,trying to find my front end noise or not. Pull out of my stall to go to lunch made a slight left turn to get out and clunk or pop. It just didnt soud right . It was so loud my co-works could here it from 50ft away. What could it be ? Locking hubs, bearings or maybe trans ? It felt like something was binding and broke free. This is the first time it happened. Jacked the truck check front end and every thing seems fine,except for a very little play on the right wheel bearing. Anyone experience this before ?

Thanks.

#3 ·
Not sure check axle and hub everything feels good. On the way home it started again ,this time itsounded like somone was hitting bottom of the floor . At times it was soft and at times it was pretty loud. Could it be the trans ? The hubs feel good no roughness . Hopefully some had this experience to share.

Thanks

#5 ·
Yes. But I dont think that is the problem. Sway bar links make noise mostly when going over something. My truck is making that noise going straight down the road about 50mph. It at times sounds like a backfire and at the same time with a knock on the floor.

#7 ·
Well just got back from a test drive, and boy it sound pretty bad. It sounds like the locking hubs are try to engage, it sounds like two gears are trying to engage. yes clunkin and popin. When I had the 4 wheel drive on it was more noticeable. So it could be locking hubs or wheel bearings,I check the wheel bearings today and it felt smooth no roughness.

#8 ·
I did alot of off roadin this summer,over the hubsthat is. So thats what made me think it ws the wheel bearings driver side went first. It was bad enough you could tell just by spinin it by hand. then the passinger side went ,and it felt fine to roll it over.On front wheel drive cars ive jacked one side up,put it in gear to find out which side was bad.

#9 ·
Also when I engaged too 4-high only the rears where spining and front hubs was making that clunkin or clickin noise. After while front locked up and no more noise. Disengaged went for test run , and it statred making that horable noise again. I will take hub apart and take a look at it. Its one of those with auto and lock.

#10 ·
Well the first time I had that noise it was this :

Recently I had a similar noise and pulled over to find my right front tire about to fall off. 4 studs had snapped and the 4 remaining lug bolts were loose.
Scary driving home on 4 studs that are all together on one side of the wheel even with them tightened down.

Best I can tell my son didnt tighten the lugs fully when we did the wheel bearing a week earlier and it snapped the 4 lugs from being loose. Till that clunking noise I had no warning. Im damn lucky I didnt loose a wheel.

I bought a torque wrench since then and we torque all wheels now when one gets changed. Scary how loose some of the others were after using the wrench to check them.

#11 ·
It sounds to me like the front axle u-joints are bad and took out a hub as well. Jack up each wheel and manually lock the hub in. Then try turning the wheel while watching the axle u-joint. If there is play in the joint before both halves start moving replace the u-joint. While you have it apart check to see if the teeth are knocked of the hub on the inside.

#15 ·
Ford but any decent replacement with a lifetime warranty will do the trick. They are a high wear item and you will change multiple sets over time. Your only other option is a conversion kit that allows you to use bearings and races like the pre-superduties. It is expensive at first but seems worth it if you need trouble free longevity. On the other hand having a warranty just means labor but you will have to do them a few times depending on how long you keep the truck.

#17 ·
NOOOO!!!! Stay away from those ones. If you are going to buy a cheap replacement atleast get it from a parts store that you jnow will be around to honor their warranty.

#18 ·
How about Checker auto,they have store brand for 135.99 per hub and 415.00 for a precision brand and both are 1yr warranty. The store brand would be a better choice.

How about Napa they one for 234.00 and a timken for 355.00 store brand 1yr and timken 3yr.

#19 ·
I would go with the Timken. Top notch company and a better warranty.

#20 ·
Okay, So I think my truck is doing the same thing. I am just driving down the highway and all of a sudden a wierd vibration comes, and as soon as I click it in 4x4, it goes away. It did this before and I replaced only the needle bearing, and it solved it for a few thousand miles, but now it is back doing it again. So Im guessing common sense would point to the hub?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.