Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4" down pipe hitting floor board while driving

9K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  FordSuperDuty05 
#1 ·
like my title says my 4" down pipe is hitting my floorboard on the pasenger side. has any one else had this problem before? I installed a new powermax turbo 2 weekends ago and i hit the right bump a week ago and now the down pipe vibrates and continually bounces and knocks on the fllor board under the truck and its driving me crazy. I looked under there and saw that it was resting on the fire wall. you guys have any ideas how to get it back off the fire wall and how to keep it from hitting the floor board.

#2 ·
Mine just did this bout 3 weeks ago. I had to drop the down pipe and re connect it to the turbo. Made sure everything was peachy then hooked the exhaust back up. My clamp came loose my down pipe and made the whole exhaust move like an inch. Just redo it and make sure your exhaust clamps are good and tight.

#4 ·
it was one of the two up grades that was done to the truck when i bought it, it had a full 4" turbo back magnaflow exhaust system and a skyjacker 4" lift kit and thats all that was done to it when i bought it with 20k on it so no reason to keep it really thats just all i have had since ive owned the truck.

#5 ·
My 4 inch dp used to rub on the pinch weld on the fire wall. A little modifying on the fire wall and on the dp with a sledge hammer and no more rubbing!

#9 ·
I'd imagine you could roughly mark the spot where it is hitting and flatten it out a bit.

I have a 4" magnaflow downpipe and it has a small flat spot for the up pipe bellows, and fits with about 1/4" on both sides, but doesn't rub anywhere... except for occasionally on the transmission crossmember bolts. Seems each time I keep realigning it it will fall back towards the crossmember after not too long, only place I haven't loosened is the v-clamp on the turbo.

could it be that the powermax is ever so slightly different from the factory turbo making the downpipe have a slightly different path and pushing it into the firewall?

#10 ·
I had the same problem when I intalled my 62/70. Just loosen everything back up and be sure that the DP is straight on the turbo exhaust flange. This made mine go away. Oh, and you think yours is annoying, I drove my truck from OH to TX and back with mine thumping on the floor board the entire way. That was fun:doh:

-French

#12 ·
Just installed a MBRP downpipe and cat test pipe today. Its the 3.5" version and I had similar problem. The floor comes up and meets the firewall about halfway. There is a pinchweld flange sticking out. The dp was hitting that. I had to 'smooth' it out to make room. It could just be my truck as for some reason cab n chassis are different than the pickup version.

In my pic, you can see the folded down flange that sits between the heat shields.

Attachments

#14 ·
im going to have to go back and re look at mine for i did not see that pinch weld there shown in your picture and i also think that its hitting the floor/firewall after it makes the turn from under the truck headed to the turbo about halfway up between the back of the turbo and the bottom of the cab where it turns back to the exhaust so i deff have some more re search to do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.