Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Brake upgrade for a 2005 F250?

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TARM 
#1 ·
All I can find is axle conversions or pre 05 hybrids when I search.

I am looking to upgrade my brakes with larger calipers and rotors on my lifted 2005 f250 4wd. I have 18" wheels but will go bigger if needed.

Some posts mention converting to F450/550 rotors and calipers, but the threads I can find are incomplete or are for pre 05. Has anyone done or know what is needed to convert an 05 to F450 brakes?

Also, I have seen the SS brakes 6 piston calipers, but are they worth the $1500 especially when you cannot increase the rotor size?

Thank you very much
Darin

#2 ·
You need to get a 05+ F450/550 front axle It is a Dana super 60

Swap out the unit bearings and hubs for a F350 Unit bearings and hubs

Swap out the rotors for the 04' F450 and I think 04' 550 as well.

The reason for swapping out the unit bearing and hubs for 350s is they are very thick and make the axle 15" wider than a F350. They also are 10 lug. Buy swapping them out you only end up adding about 1.5 to each side. Your also are now at the proper 8 lug pattern. The rotor like wise needs to still be the 14.53 diameter but needs the 8 lug pattern which the 04' 450/550 were.

The calipers are also much larger so you much be running a 19.5" -20" rim to clear them.

The steering parts in this axle are much HD. The unit bearings are much bigger and that allows for a significant increase in turning radius (45 degrees total). The ball joints a bigger as well so they will last much longer in the same abuse. For pads find some EBCs and possibly see if they have perf rotors to fit the 04 450. That woudl get you the ultimate in stopping power, turning radius and axle strength.

The axles are 35 spline inners and outters as well.

The only real weakness you will have in the fact you are running 350 unti bearings. I think you could possible get the Dynatrac kit if you wanted. You would not need the whole kit as you already have the 35 spline outers. The only issue may be the knuckles and specs may not match up with other parts. Not sure on that. But either way you will have a huge increase in braking, turning and durability. Its also a full 10" ring and a stronger pinion as well.

They should bolt up directly to your current setup as the springs and arms etc are the same. They do ruyn a beefier steering gear you are suppose to be able to swap in on the 05+ but you would need to check on that.

The axle on the outer dimensions is the same as a reg D60.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.