Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

having a custom box made

3K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  jdc753 
#1 ·
i am going with a 12" realm shallow sub. it seems that the sub is built/more compatible in a sealed box from what i read. the shoo is pretty high end so im not concerned about quality with them. they kinda talked me out of the JL13tw5 ..based on what i said i wanted, which is hard hitting occasionally but first and foremost a sound quality sub. the guy basically said i could run the sub for a week, and if i didnt like it he would credit me towards a JL 13tw5 or something else and he would go on the bigger/deeper side of the box to allow for future changes. i am having him build it identicle to the jl stealthbox, colormatched carpet underneath rear bench drivers side. just wondering if anyone knows anything about these subs. they are supposed to be the high end from schosche ..but i dont know much except i prefer JL w6 or w7 from experience. here's a link:

Realm-Audio.com

#2 ·
hey mikey i have been trying to find the new subs for my truck too and these seem to be good but i think im going with the JL 13tw5 because they are the best sounding thin line i have found

#4 ·
399 is a cheap as i have found them!! but what i was told is you can always turn them down but once your reach the limit you have to replace so i would rather over kill to be safe!!

#6 ·
i just googled and found lowest to be $368 .. i may order one tomorrow after i hear this one. i like the idea of a better speaker and not driving it too hard, but the really efficient 12's seem to hit too hard and deep for my taste. i had a 12w6 in my marroon truck and it was too much. i went down to a 10w7 and loved the change.

#11 ·
Never heard of those Realm Audio subs before and can't seem to find much about them on the forums I am on but the specs and build looks good.

Personally of all the shallow mounts and especially for SQ related builds I would suggest the Stereo Integrity BM MKIII. I have a Mag V4 which is a similar motor design and it is 100% transparent even without tuning.

Definitely doesn't take a lot of power, won't need a big amp which is nice.

Its been a while, but last I remember the Kicker shallows were receiving better reviews than the pioneer and clarion shallow subs. My biggest gripe to the kicker shallows is their recommended box size, usually when searching for a shallow sub you don't have tons of space to go with it. 12 kicker shallow recommends 1.0-4.6 ft^3 while a pioneer is more around 0.3-0.5 range :shrug:

#9 ·
I like the sound of 10s better in our trucks, with dvd players and stuff the sound quality is very good for movies and stuff, 12s seam to have a hair too much lag and hit almost too hard and not crisp enough.

On edit that was my old crew cab with alot more room behind the back seat

#13 ·
Here's a second for the BM MKIII from Stereo Integrity. I've got one in my '05CC and I love it. I've got a class D MTX mono amp and the thing sounds amazing. Took a little time adjusting the gains to get the best all around sound but even just listening to FM radio the sub is great! Plus, it only needs .5 ft^3 sealed to be happy...it has 3.5" mounting depth.

#19 ·
well it turned out perfect. the sound is very similar to my 10" W7 ... they did say my punch amp was working really hard and they couldnt tune it to exactly where they wanted it, so i gotta swap to a mono amp. but they said it sounded identicle to the stealth box's they have done before. i believe they said they could do this box with JL 13tw5 for $600 plus shipping, that includes colormatching the carpet. my colormatch was dead nuts on. here a pic of how it sits. if anyone want pics of the speaker side let me know.

#28 ·
i could do that for you..no prob. the dimensions might be a pain though, because it has face ridges to keep the sub off the floor... if your guy can build it, he'll just need your truck for a while, thats what they did with mine. it takes the entire 60% section of the rear seat.

#31 ·
just an update, i just listened to "blackened" from metallica..the song that seperates the real from fake when it comes to sound quality and handling.... this JL 13tw5 was the right choice. damn. sounds very , very similar to my 10W7 did in a ported box... at 30% power on the head unit..its hitting way hard. i made the right choice, so dont be shy whenit comes to that sub, even though its pricey..worth every penny to me.

#36 ·
i agree Mike! i'm running one JL 13 in a sealed box with a JL 500/1 pushing it, mb quarts in the doors with a JL 300/4 on the highs and mids. very clean sound at every volume level! i'd say you made the right choice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.