Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 Glow plugs are making me sad

13K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Fordman64 
#1 ·
The glow plug light on my '99 7.3 does not come on when I put the key in the run position. The truck will crank and crank and crank and not start. I tried to warm it up w/ the block heater to see if it would fire but that didn't work. I replaced the glow plug relay with no effect. At this point, the way I see it, and the way the Hanes book reads, the only 2 possibilities left are the glow plugs or the PCM. Can anyone either confirm or deny that these two suspects are what I'm down to. If anyone suspects something else due to past experience please let me know.

Thanks fellas, this is my first post in this forum but I've been watching it for a while.

#2 ·
Check your fuses. What year model truck? Theres a fuse that feeds the fuel bowl heater that also powers the pcm, IDM, cant remember. Anyway, if it blows that fuse, it does exactly that. Unplug the fuel bowl heater first , replace the fuse, and try again. Theres normally no need for the heater. Did away with mine several years ago.

Good place to start anyway.

#5 ·
Your fuel bowl heater shorted out. Unplug it from the fuel bowl on the outside of it and heat shrink the connector. Then replace the fuse and all will be well again. IIRC it is fuse #22 in the power distribution box under the hood.

#7 ·
Negatory........ fuse #30 is the fuel bowl heater/pcm relay....30 amp....fuse panel is under the steering column. I had mine running one morning warming up.....it just died and would not re-start.......thanks to PSN......I knew immediately what to check.

#8 ·
same thing has happened to me. in my case, the pcm had come loose a little. i recently replaced the pcm and did not get the bolt tightened all the way. i just unplugged my batteries, snugged up the bolt , and was back on the road.

#9 ·
Well that was why I said IIRC. My mistake.

#10 ·
All depends on year model too. First 02 I had in the shop, I looked under the hood for the fuse box, and ???????????????? Nothing there? Found out later they moved it all under the dash i later 01, and 02 trucks.:doh:

#13 ·
I have a Ford 94 powerstroke 7.3 diesel and wanted to know the relay order for the power distrabution box there are 5 on the right hand side, all the other ones are marked, but not these 5! Can anyone help me I have looked everywhere and do not want to chance a problem, been working on this truck for about a year! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.