Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

First major fail?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  lead foot 
#1 ·
Saw this on another forum, I have no clue right now as to his credibility....I have asked a couple of questions.
But thought it would be of interest to those here. It's over on T D G....

Its not mine but the first major failure I have seen. It appears to have dropped a glow plug tip causing 1 cylinder to loose compression. Ford is replacing the complete engine on this one. I bet they want it back to do some R&D maybe.

Here is the kicker, the price of the engine alone (Fords price) is right at $16,000. That does not include labor and all the little things like fluids, clamps etc. I would imagine the regular price if someone were to buy one might be around $19-20k. So by the time you added all the extra parts and labor to replace one you will be around $22-23k, ouch.

I hope this is a isolated incident, and so far its seems so. Its kind of sad a stupid little part can destroy so much. Remember nothing is perfect right.

#2 ·
Hes gotta be Kidding about the Motor Price :~( a Duramax is under $8,000

"Remember nothing is perfect right."

he's wrong about this For sure,Cause it's not the fact nothings Perfect ,but the fact it's "man made" there for it's Not Perfect ,Things Made By God are as good as it gets :~)

#9 ·
So following your logic, all men are as good as it gets because man was made by God.:poke:

I wouldn't think in this case you would need a complete running engine replacement. A long block assembly should suffice. Either way, it's all forum hearsay and definitely missing some facts. :doh:

#3 ·
:bsflag:prices are not right.

if i remember correctly, you can overhaul a C15 Acert or ISX for under 18K with new injectors, turbo. etc.

Went to fords website, the Powerstroke 6.7 turbo diesel engine is only a 7,835 option.

#7 ·
does a gas motor not cost anything...? the $7835 is the cost above the "base model" gas motor option.... my buddy that works at a dealer as a reputable diesel mechanic told me last week when i was looking at trying to buy a wrecked 2011 the 3.7 motor new cost between 15-16K so prices are right for it...

#5 ·
that is the cost of a complete engine the way they drop them in at the factory. That is turbo, intake, accessories, everything. I did a 6.4 in a similar fashion when the first came out, parts were well over $16k.

#6 ·
Ford parts list a 6.7 engine for 2011 as follows;

"Engine Complete Assembly
6.7L 4V V8 T/C Diesel ; Includes Oil Pan, Valve Covers & Front Cover, Gaskets And Additional Parts Must Be Purchased Separately
List Price #$8,028.88"

Note from the description that this is what is often reffered to as a long block and not a complete drop in engine.

The parts list I have does not list a complete drop in engine for the 6.7.

For reference a drop in 6.4 with turbos, EGR coolers, ect. list just north of $14K.

#12 ·
Price on a complete engine from Ford is $15,986.66

as listed
6.7L 4V V8 T/C Diesel ; Wide Frame (Pickup); Complete Engine Assemblies May Only Be Available During Current Production Model Year

#13 ·
Either way, that's a butt ton of money. But as said before, you could figure just a long block. But the extra labor to remove and replace everything on these may cover the difference in price at a dealer, (IF you had to pay for it, for what ever reason.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.