Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Speaker break in

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  907DAVE 
#1 ·
Gonna throw this out merely for discussion and point of view. I have no opinion but found this to be an interesting read. Don't shoot the messenger as they say......

Break in BS link

#2 ·
Hmm that was a very interesting read.

Break in is something that I have never really done or paid much attention to. I am pretty sure that the subwoofer I had loosened up and appeared to play lower and with more output after a certain time of owning/using it but I have never personally experienced similar breakin changes with anything else.

I do have friends who insist on feeding their new drivers say 10w off their home stereo receiver for a certain break in period before installing them in their car but I have no first hand experience with these practices.

I can say one thing, I will be reading a lot more of this guys articles to see what else he has to say, seems like he covers a lot of good topics.

#4 ·
Yup that's the jist of it, he is basically saying that when measuring the T/S specs of the speaker out of the box vs "broken in" yielded little to no change, also saying that most speakers will get "broken" in at the manufacturer before getting shipped out. Also says that this "breaking in" isn't really breaking in but more or less breaking down and softening of the materials. It was an interesting read.

#5 ·
i break all my subs in now after i went through 4 12s within 2 weeks and blowing them the ones i run now i broke in and they perform great
EDIT his last sentence verified that i do it more to get rid of the smell than anything too much power though to new speakers just didnt work for me for a while

#6 ·
The stereo shop we deal with hear, Mad Marks stereo. This guy used to hold a few SPL world records back in the day with his Hearse, and a mustang called Mind Bender. He told us to break in our speakers. Always dealed with Fosgate, JL, an Kickers. Fosgate told him if possible, to plug them into your house socket. I forget what hz it tones, but man. 2, Power 12s in a ported box in your living room, it really knocked the pictures off the wall.

#7 ·
I dunno, I've never tried it but I've heard a wall socket is a great way to kill a sub, maybe a pair of big subs like the Power series will survive, but pretty sure most will end up dying pretty fairly quickly off a wall socket. You'll probably need a sub that is capable of handling around 2,000w for it to be relatively safely run off a wall socket.

From Steve Meade himself...

I just don't want someone to go and take their RF P1's or Kicker Comp's and thinking they can break them in with a wall socket.

I usually just set everything up and keep the volume, or the gain set a bit low for a while before I start cranking up the power and volume

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.