Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

arp or elite for studs

13K views 139 replies 30 participants last post by  fordpowerf450 
#1 ·
Just like it says...what is the difference, other than 300 bucks?

#2 ·
H-11 vs what ever ARP uses lol

Ive used both and ARP works good on Cummins but powerstroke im not sure about ARP.

But im going to use ARP with my 6.4. Due to i hate spending money ahah

#8 ·
Look at it this way. Arp has been making headstuds for everything for a very very long time and they just now released their kit for 6.4. That tells me that they wanted to perfect the design first before they released it. They use their own creation ARP2000 material which has a tensile strength of over 200,000 psi and a yeild strength of 180,000psi. The torque specs are 325 ftlbs but that is only 48% of yeild for these bolts. I'm sure alot of people will say you get what you pay for because so many people will be butt hurt they spent soo much more for studs but up untill now elite could charge whatever they wanted for the H-11s because there was no alternative. I'm sure people will get very defensive now but this is my theory.

#9 ·
^and it's a good one :)

#10 ·
with either of them at that tensile strength wouldnt the threads be pulled out of the block by the studs before stretched or broke?

#14 ·
The H-11s have a higher tensile rating than the material of the block does, or so I've heard, ARPs do not.

#11 ·
Elites H-11 all the way, better material and strength. Thats just what I would buy.

#15 ·
BALLER!!!!

#13 ·
What is the yeild strength in psi of the H-11 studs. The tinsel strength doesn't really apply here because you would rarely ever break a stud. The most important number is the yeild strength for this so the point in where the stud will loose ist elastisity therefore loosing it's clamping force. I'm a field machinest and hydraulic torque tech in nuc and fossil power plants so I know a little about bolts. I didn't research the h-11s because of the price and the arp numbers were so impressive. You could torque the arps to over 500 ftlbs safely. Mine were torqued to 350.

#19 ·
The only reason the torque is so much higher is because it's a much harder material. For instance a stainless Steele bolt vs a b7 or b16 steel bolt. Usually 3 times higher than a b8m stainless. I don't know why everyone says they will stretch. Who's has stretch to back this theory. I know guys with cummins who have torqued the same bolts 3 And 4 times. Arp is the leader in headstuds technology. Have been for a long time. See the differance is I'm not saying there better I'm saying there equally as good and save some money. This is typical from people who don't want to admit you can buy same quallity for less money

#21 ·
What makes you think that. Please explain

#27 ·
Most high hp powerstrokes use h-11. Keep in mind the powerstroke 6.0/6.4 only have 4 bolts per cylinder to keep them sealed under boost. also the 6.4 has the ability to put out more boost pressure than a 6.0 that already has trouble with HG's even with studs. Cant really use a cummins as a comparison because they use 6 bolts per cylinder there for have to stretch 6 studs to blow a gasket vs 4 on the powerstroke.

It your money and truck, but like stated the extra funds for the greater strength is just piece of mind even if there stronger than needed.

#31 ·
from a 7.3 owner, when i had arp's after they were first released, their torque specs were wrong. i blew a gasket with mine. put in another set of arp's, because they were a better price and i didnt know any better, blew them again. i put in h-11's after that, and never had a problem again. i know the arp 625's are a far better technology than their standard material, but is that what is being used in the studs? if so i wouldnt worry. if not, there may be a learning curve. only time and horsepower will tell.

#35 ·
Tinsel strength is nothing more Than sheer strenght meaning where the bolt will snap. Rockwell rating is why you would refer to when talking hardness. Arp does not us that material for the 6.4. They designed there own and call it arp2000. The Rockwell rating Or HRC rating for the arp studs are 43. What are the h-11s. And I'll sleep just fine. Thanks.

#40 ·
Doesnt certain tuners/tunes cause different backpressure ratings and stuff.. It seems like Erics tunes have the low boost numbers and all and seem to be more reliable???.. I am in no way downing any other tuner, just breathing in knowledge

#44 ·
how?

I understand but no one can explain WHY

Yield strength is the lowest amount of stress that gives deformation to the metal.. Tensile strength is pretty much the stage at which it breaks.. Yield is first stage and tensile is second stage of failure
thats why yield is more important than tensil, if the bolt stretches then the heads lift

And actually just because a bolt wont deform when stretched doesnt mean its better, if it only takes say 3000 psi to stretch it .010 of an inch rather than 4000 psi, then that makes the bolt less effective for what we need it for.

#43 ·
Yield strength is the lowest amount of stress that gives deformation to the metal.. Tensile strength is pretty much the stage at which it breaks.. Yield is first stage and tensile is second stage of failure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.