Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Allison Swap

105K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  Dave Whitmer 
#1 ·
i know what ya'all are gonna say. i have had extremely good luck with allisons however. anyways isnt there a 7.3 block out there that has the ability to change the back plate for a different transmisson? or do all 7.3 blocks only have the ford trans bell housing pattern on them? i thought i seen somewhere you could get different backplates for different trannies that bolt to the back of a block with no trans pattern. the reason i ask is if i do this swap i dont want to have to make an adapter plate to bolt to the ford bellhousing pattern and shim out the flexplate or converter. does the international t444 have this set up like say out of a school bus or something?

#2 ·
School busses did come with Allies behind T444Es. Depending what Allie model you want to go with I believe the plates are all the same. I know where one is if your intrested.

#10 ·
i would prefer not to use an adapter plate because of having to shim the converter or flexplate or using a different flexplate. if there is a block that the allison 1000 would bolt directly to or a changeable backplate for a block with no bellhousing pattern

#15 ·
i know a lot of you would never believe it but i have plenty of witnesses... i had a 06 duramax with 837 rwhp and 1409tq with an entirely stock allison for over 80k miles of straight abuse. only reason i got rid of the truck was because i was sick and tired of friend end and electrical problems along with payments

Reactions: Wil2808
#17 ·
my cousin is runnin a ppe hot+2 on top level stacked with an edge juice with attitude on a stock tranny in his lly with stock gears and 37s and no tranny problems. just blew the head gaskets and has a oil cooler leak

#22 ·
well a lot of it is tuning. cheaper tuners like edge and bully dog dont tune the tranny when they tune the engine. thats where the 100hp myth comes from. good tuners like ppe and efi live can tune the tranny when they tune the engine which makes a significant difference

#24 ·
everyone has different experiences and opinions. but since this is getting controversial lets get back to the point here.

#30 ·
Not unless there is an allison 1000 made that uses that bolt pattern on the bell. You definately won't be pulling a tranny out of a truck with a Dmax in it and bolting it up.

I might know a thing or two about bolting an Allison 1000 to a 7.3 - but nothing I know is going to help you since your dead set on trying to find part to get it to bolt on without an adapter.

Also - your 800HP on a stock Ally story is complete bullsht. If you did hit 800 ponies on a dyno once - you sure never used it any other time. I have a pretty stout Dmax and wouldn't even think of running a stock Ally because I actually do use my truck and use it hard. And I don't claim to be anywhere near 800Hp.

#31 ·
^^^ thats a little more like i was thinkin! you have to space out the converter or flexplate any? and where to get one?

#33 ·
well seeing as aparently all blocks have the same bolt pattern im kinda stuck aint i? and i would rather have a billet flexplate. is it just thicker to allow for the difference cuz of the adapter plate? i was just not wanting an adapter because of shimming but i didnt think of a thicker flexplate. i have a mill so i could make the stuff myself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.