Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Opinions needed on my painted grill

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  dan_k 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I painted my grill last night and am trying to decide if I should do the bumper or leave it alone.
I'm afraid that if I go black on the bumper, I will be looking like an xl. Give me your opinion.

I'm getting new tires today which should give me an even better look in the wheel well/fender flare area. Also, My next goal is to put some harley lights on, I'm just a little worried about fit and finish as my old 2000 lights have always been garaged and still look brand new (no haze like most of them get).

It's cold this morning so truck has frost on the hood.

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

See less See more
#2 ·
Lokks good. But if you got rid of the camped shell it would look even better.

#3 ·
Some one piece smoke headlights would help out too.

#4 ·
Looks good. I painted my grill and would like to black the bumper, but might go with a winch bumper instead of painting a XL. Clear corners will help with the look instead of the ambers.

For stackedstroker: Caps (camper shells, toppers, etc) are usually installed for function. Simply removing for looks is not always an option.

#5 ·
For stackedstroker: Caps (camper shells said:
I know I was just saying.:ford:

#7 ·
My best friend rides in the shell so that stays!

What smoked lights should I be looking at? I'm not up to date with the headlight mods so any help will be appriciated.

#9 ·
I'm ordering harley lights at the end of the week.
I don't think I will paint the bumper as the wheels have the aluminum knockouts and chrome lugnuts. I think the chrome bumper will flow with the all black front and wheel combo.

#10 ·
Smoked cab lights

See if someone can photoshop the bumper black and the plastic piece and valance red.

20% tint all the way around. The rear doors and back window should come out to about 5% on top of the factory tint. And a brow on the windshield.

Hell I don't know, I'm just tossing out my .02

#11 ·
Even with the chrome on the wheels I think its going to look better with the black bumper. The accents on the wheels is not the same thing as an all chrome bumper. I am getting ready to do the same. Going to all back from the tan flares and chrome on an X. My red is the toreador red so its not as bright as yours. I was switching over to black Fuel Hostage wheels which have the chrome accent rivets etc..

Here is a bad mock up converting the X in my avatar over to black.

Sorry my chop shop skills are seriously lacking this is the first one I have done but it gets you a rough idea.

#12 ·
thats not to bad Tarm. if me and photoshop could get along good enough for me to do that. my truck would probably look totally different.

#13 ·
I have to agree with making the bumper black. if you want to stay with a trend of the alluminum on the wheels, get yourself some billet inserts for the grill and the bumper to set it off.... I think you will like it...... been wondering about doing the same with my blue truck thats got the gold on bottom....

#15 ·
I didn't order the harley lights, I saw the smoked lights this morning like Tarm has on the x and ordered them. I like the trasparent tint for some reason.

The bumper will be sanded just to add some texture, then coated with underbody primer, then sprayed. I won't decide on the bumper until after I have the lights installed.

#16 ·
#18 ·
Can you powdercoat over the chrome?
My wife is very close to her boss, who's husband runs a powdercoat shop. Close enough that I bet it could be done for FREE!!!:blah:

#20 ·
YES. Sand blast or sand and send it to them or I guess you can pay to have them prep it. AS long as it sticks and the chrome is not peeling etc powder coating is a fairly standard prep even with chrome.

#21 ·
looks good dan_k and i agree with the others black bumpers would look best and i think you could do as i did and just smoke your corner lenses and leave the headlight (cheaper route and looks good) or get the smoked harley lenses if you wana spend the money

and tarm the photochop looks good cant wait to see it all black if you do it!

#22 ·
I like the black idea, maybe black chrome, like anodized.

#23 ·
Before and after!

I think I'm going to paing the lower valance black and leave the bumper chrome.
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

#24 ·
I've got to get the GOS wiring harness so I can run brighter bulbs. The headlights put out plenty of light but they are noticeably dimmer.

#25 ·
Just an update.
Bedliner on ford grill, and I bought this Waag brush guard from the spray in bedliner shop which they coated with bedliner. The brush guard also has the headlight protectors (3 small horizontal rods that mount in front of the headlights) but I haven't installed them yet.

[/url] ford grill 002 by dmkhnr, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url] ford grill 001 by dmkhnr, on Flickr[/IMG]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.