Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

02 4x4 hub replacement, what else

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dieselvrgn 
#1 ·
So my front right tire has play in it. It moves up and down. After searching and reading on here, I decided it was probably the hub. I went ahead and started taking everything apart yesterday just to see what I am getting myself into. When the hub is off and in hand, it doesn't seem, That bad, but when it is bolted up on the truck, it for sure has some play in it. Is there a list of replacement parts on here somewhere? What all is needed? Anyone do a write up with pics?

Side note, this is cool :psnb:

#2 ·
just go to napa or ford and get a new hub bearing assmbly and bolt er up took me about 30 min to do it! yea off the truck its hard to tell if they are bad but yours is for sure bad. did you check ball joints while your at it?

#3 ·
I know there's threads for the parts there, but I couldn't find a good right up on all the seals and what all is needed. I think theres a kit you can buy with everything you need but cant remember the websit. Hopefully someone that knows more will chime in cause I need to replace all my seals in there and my hubs while I'm there

#4 ·
On the steering knuckle itself, the ball joints didn't have much play/slack. They seemed pretty solid still. The slack was in the hub itself.

I do have a really dumb question, not dumb to me because I don't know the answer, but probably dumb to some of you guys that have done this before. Is there a bearing on the inner axle shaft? That would hold it pretty solid. The reason I ask, with the hub off, I was holding the Outer Axle shaft, I can move it up and down. And when doing so, there looks to be a lot of movement on the inner shaft(up and down).

#6 ·
Hub assembly, studs if it didn't come with them, seal for vacuum system if auto/manual hubs, O-ring on outer portion of hub assembly. That should do it.

#8 ·
knuckle seal - Ford part number F81Z-3254-CB qty 2
dust seal - Ford part number F81Z-1S175-HCA qty 2
part # F81Z-4A322-AA- Yellow o-ring qty 2
Ford part # 4C3Z-1K106-AA Hub o-ring qty 1
F81Z-1107-AA- studs qty 8
Ford-C6TZ-3123A or NAPA-B2110- needle bearings qty 2

That help?

#9 ·
I won't pay 400$ or use ebay. I've replaced both of mine with autozone hubs at 115$ apiece including the new studs. One year warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.