false oil temp readings - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:00 AM
moremph
2Cruel
Member's Gallery

false oil temp readings

Someone mentioned reading about this once before and i have searched for over an hour and have not been able to find it.

Something about some scan tools reading the oil temp incorrect and showing a 30 or 40 degree diffrence if i remember correctly?

anybody have any info on this and a way to fix it? or what trucks specifically do it.

Got a customers truck did a new oil cooler and egr delete last week and he brought it back for coolant loss, quick test drive showed oil temp at 215 and coolant at like 175. They did have a radiator hose that was leaking and they repaired it and were overfilling the resivoir so this may be thier only problem, But just curious on what i saw on my MATCO Determinator Scan Tool

Thanks Travis

Powerstroke Everywhere
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 03:32 AM
06powerstroke
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: false oil temp readings

My scangauge reads my oil temp about 40 too high. I contacted Aeroforce about it and they said Ford may a supplied them with a incorrect formula to calculate oil temp. They said it has happened before with the OBS trucks. Wonder if Matco has the same issue...
Pioneer double din, JL components, 3 10" Pioneer subs
Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 AM
moremph
2Cruel
Member's Gallery

might be it doesnt do it on everytruck though just ceartin ones

Travis
Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 PM
uga33
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremph View Post
Someone mentioned reading about this once before and i have searched for over an hour and have not been able to find it.

Something about some scan tools reading the oil temp incorrect and showing a 30 or 40 degree diffrence if i remember correctly?

anybody have any info on this and a way to fix it? or what trucks specifically do it.

Got a customers truck did a new oil cooler and egr delete last week and he brought it back for coolant loss, quick test drive showed oil temp at 215 and coolant at like 175. They did have a radiator hose that was leaking and they repaired it and were overfilling the resivoir so this may be thier only problem, But just curious on what i saw on my MATCO Determinator Scan Tool

Thanks Travis
The Matco scan tools reading for the oil temp isn't correct. I think I was the one who brought it up in the thread. A buddy of mine has one, and when we do head gaskets or oil coolers, we have to go to use his computer at the dealership. He was never given an answer from his Matco rep about the issue.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:20 PM
DieselStroke
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Don't you have the option to alter the formula on these?... Maybe not.
Scangauge II by Linear Logic
Straight pipe exhaust
Westin Bull Bar
Lights
Old 11-02-2010, 12:02 AM
turbodiesel_02
it's an 02 05 08
Member's Gallery

i have also seen some aftermarket programmers cause this issue aswell
6.0's pay the bills and 6.4's soon..
Old 11-02-2010, 02:20 AM
moremph
2Cruel
Member's Gallery

well i was playing with it toight i told the scan tool it was an 04 truck which for some reason has 2 oil temp readings one was high and one was dead on. So i guess its just an 05 thing

Thanks Travis
Old 11-02-2010, 02:41 AM
turbodiesel_02
it's an 02 05 08
Member's Gallery

truck that did it to me was an 05
Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 PM
uga33
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremph View Post
well i was playing with it toight i told the scan tool it was an 04 truck which for some reason has 2 oil temp readings one was high and one was dead on. So i guess its just an 05 thing

Thanks Travis
Truck that did it to me was an 07. Could be on to something.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Mdub707
Damnkids Motorsports
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Mdub707

On my 06, I datalogged with my X-cal2 before and had some ridiculous temps. I can't remember if it was coolant or oil that was way off, but one of them was. I want to say it was coolant though. It started at 475* (on a warm motor) and as I drove it just continually fell to around 80* until I shut the truck off. Never figured it out and it didn't do it again...

2006 F-250 6.0 4x4 Vegistroked
SCT Xcal2 w/Innovative Diesel Tuning 466/772 7/19/08
Black smoke don't mean it's broke... it means your tuning sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Paypal can go fuk themselfs... Buy me a beer the next time we meet.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:20 AM
105vegas
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

my 05 reads high and the matco aswell even changed the sensor and rebuilt the cooler after that thought it was a wireing isue... il have to hook the ids laptop to it and check it now..
Old 11-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Kilroy
Kilroy was here
Member's Gallery

My Aeroforce gauge has been reading a high oil temp since day one, reading 40 degrees too high. Aeroforce says the conversion from Ford is incorrect, and they have been unable to correct the issue. I sent the gauge back to them but even after a reflash it was still wrong.They said every aftermarket gauge/scantool had the same problem, but a buddy of mine got a Edge Insight so we hooked it up and it showed correctly. That's the direction I'm headed in, more to follow later.
DieselSite Bypass Coolant & Oil Filter
Sinister EGR Delete

Old 11-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Goose
Ballin' on a Budget
Member's Gallery

Interesting. My Edge didnt read high.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Kilroy
Kilroy was here
Member's Gallery

My new Edge Insight doesn't read that high either. It's dead on the money.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:08 PM
!!!PainTrain!!!
Hate 'R Us
Member's Gallery

My Outlook monitor would show ridiculous temps for my trans. Said it would only get to like 70* and all other kinds of weird jazz. It finally took a dump on me completely so I'm in the market for a decent all in one gauge that I don't have to spend an arm and a leg for.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 100
!!!PainTrain!!!, 04 hotrod, 06 f250 man, 06KingRanch6.0L, 06powerstroke, 105vegas, 2 Stroker, 6.9turbocharged, 60POWERSTROKE73, 97rattlebox, bad moose, baja5bss, bboteler, bismic1, Boywonder, budtoh3zo, buggut, bustednuckles, chadow427, cheepone2, counciller, cowboy_dan, Craig@MPD, cummins kid, dalpilot, Dangyo, dexleo2, dieselmac, DieselStroke, Dirty outlaw, dits145, doghead714, duece, FamExc, flyboy41, forcefedjunkie, Fordfreak4life, georgia diesel, golfer, golfmedik, Goose, halerazor, hawgdoctor, HeavyAssault, ibestrokin97, IdaGlyde, Ignorant1, irish4, irontx25, Jbstroker87, jello, Jetfxr, JHill, John I., Johnboy3, jonnysteals, jsimon724, jzamluk, kade08, kdjo, kenny7231, Kilroy, KingRanch05, Kountryboy 6.0, madmaxz, matts05f250sd, matty169, Mdub707, michaelleblanc, Monstar, moremph, Motownfire, namerritt, offroadinginaz, osue077, patrickke, raftert63t7, RazorsEDGE, Rob D, Ross01, rpm-inc, rschwarzwalder, Shef, silverslug, Sniper32, sonnyy13n, sschwindt, STRAIGHTSTROKEN04, stroker62, toycrawler, tt500owner, turbie, turbodiesel_02, uga33, wetnsloppy4x, WichitaF250, yeehaw, zman111