Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Trailer winch

5K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  boobin 
#1 ·
Tring to get some ideas for a winch for my 10k trailer. I am thinking somewhere in the 6 to 8k range. I have alway had good luck w superwinch but am open to suggestions. I have had BAD experiances w Warn and Gorilla on my 4 wheeler. So...... fire away with ideas

#6 ·
I can't remember who, but someone on here turned me on to this place.

Winches - Greg Smith Equipment Sales, Inc

I haven't bought one yet though, so I can't comment on quality.

It may have been hotrodtractor.
Yeah. My brother has one of those i think. Just killed it the first time he used it pulling a rolling gasser 90 F350 on his trailer:doh:

Dont want to spend 400 jus to throw it in the garbage

#5 ·
A friend of mine had a 10k harbor freight winch, and surprisingly it worked pretty nicely. I watched it winch quite a few superduty's onto his gooseneck flawlessly. Probably worth a shot for the price.

Only other one I've had any experience with is Warn, which I've had rather good results from.

#9 ·
How do you plan on mounting it? I've though of the same thing on my equipment trailer, but it has a wood deck. I could always weld up something to attach a mount to the front crossmember where I welded eyes, but then I'd have to raise my chain box off the deck.;)

#11 ·
I used a Mile Marker 6k on my trailer and it worked awesome with anything I hauled. It was a tad slower when loading something real heavy.

#15 ·
#16 ·
i bought one of these, 9000 LB Pound Recovery Winch Bonus Package! 2 remotes - eBay (item 160495702873 end time Nov-18-10 08:28:10 PST) he used to list them in auction, i got it for $25. i have pulled 4020 john deeres, various trucks, and three semis on my deck over gooseneck. i got a 3 - 20k lb superwinch snatch blocks. it will pull lots. i would recommend it to anyone. on a side note, most winches only start to get tired and break when you are pulling in the 80 - 100% weight rating of the winch. if you have a 10k winch, and you wanna pull 9k on your trailer, get a snatch block then the winch only has 4500 on it. ya the winch will do 9k, but thats why they wear out early. just my .02 i could go on about %of grade to......here Electric Recovery Winches and Trailer Winches

#24 ·
if your winches are $600ish, i saved $575, so if it fuks me, im not out hardly anything. and i gotta local shop that carries warn, im buddies with the guy, so any time it goes down, im not screwed. so either way, im not concerned. unfortunately, im the guy my friends call at 2-5am when their stuck in the snow, or off somewhere bein supid, and get stuck or break. paybacks are a bitch. :evil:

#25 ·
Hey man I just bought a Smittybilt XRC 10k winch for $375 and I love the winch it works awesome. Now I got the winch a little cheaper than what you might be able to get it now but I bought it at a truck show from National Tire and Wheel and I also got a snatch block and use that on every load that I have to under 8k. Now I wouldnt have to on a load that small but like tree trimmer said earlier it will save the winch in the long run. But it might be a winch you can check into.

#26 ·
A friend of mine had a 10k harbor freight winch, and surprisingly it worked pretty nicely. I watched it winch quite a few superduty's onto his gooseneck flawlessly. Probably worth a shot for the price.
Thats the one I got as well.
Its worked fine for me.

#28 ·
Sounds good man. We put winches on our trailers as well. I never would get anything under 8k because ny truck weighs more than that I got snatch blocks to help but dint like getting them out all the time. Just got a new trailer and got a Ramsey 18,500lb winch to put on it. Let's see sons pics of the winch with the box you put it in.

#29 ·
The Warn model 8274 on my trailer works flawlessly. Bought it on CL for 550 and rebuilt it using a $70.00 kit from Amazon. Never had a problem and always moves anything I try to put on trailer. I use two 850 CCA deep cycle trolling motor batteries and no problems!
Foxman

#30 ·
It is an 06 Deande considered a auto trailer but had a 10,000 GVW. Semi deck-over. Meaning the fenders are drive over style and are only 4" tall. Trailer is 20'x8.5' w torsion axles and electric brakes. It weighs in @ 3,000lbs so you can put 8k on the trailer considering you will have 1000lbs tongue weight.

The box is a Merritt Logger Box. Measures 30"W x 23"D x 20"T in the rear and 13"T in the front.

Used some 3" Channel and (4) 3/8 bolts to secure it to the tongue. And also made a 8" channel Front Bumper rail at the front of the trailer. Some 6"x12" 1/4" flat plate for the winch mount, secured w (4) 1/2". O, and I moved the plug for the winch controller to the outside of the box so the lid will not come down and pinch the cord. I have some small LEDs coming for cargo lights inside the box. They will come on with a door switch

here are the pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.