Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

American Ride spends all Saturday on the dyno

9K views 82 replies 25 participants last post by  powerstroke586 
#1 ·
Well like the title says the American Ride went to the Dyno on Saturday and was Basically strapped to it all day. The truck made more dyno runs in one day then I thought possible. What our goal was to make the truck run better.

Mike from KEM sat in the passenger seat all day tweaking things. There was a lot of theorys test and tried.

Jonathan from Swamps brought along some cylinder pressure sensing equipment. This was very useful in knowing how far we could push timing and how it was effecting the engine.

This the first dyno run since everything has been changed to run the higher rpms. On the first fun of the day to establish the base run we found that the truck would make peak hp at around 3500 rpms and drop off dramatically by around 4100 rpms or so. The truck also made considerably lower peak hp then what it made at the last dyno.

After many changes the peak hp went up to about 3700 rpms and the hp curve was then flat out to 5000 rpms. I think if Mike would have turned the RPMS up it would have just continued flat. What we believe that we have found is we are at the limit of this head. It just doesn't have enough cfm to make more power. The only way to make more power is increase the the boost to shove more air through the same restriction. We keep pushing timing and would pick up some power. As timing increased our boost went up. We found that for about every 1 pound the boost went up the truck made like 8 more hp on average. What we ended with was the truck made less peak hp but overall made more power in the band where is is being pulled at.

On Monday Guy took the truck back the same dyno where it did the 690. The numbers at the testing dyno were lower then we would have like to see and thought maybe it was not right. The truck made less hp on this dyno as well. So Guy swapped turbos and put on a big Precision turbo. The truck did make some more hp over the borg turbo but still not 690.

In the end we are let down as the truck just seems to have a restriction in it. It is sure seems to be on the airflow side. With a hp curve that flat you can just see it hit a wall just can't go up any more.

As for results I would say that we all gained a lot of knowledge. We got lots of very cool videos. I hope Guy is going to get them posted tonight. Muj from KEM took some cool ones as well maybe he will post. As Mike tweaked things the truck just sounded better and better. Just seemed to smooth out. It is a long winter to find a way to get more air in this motor.

See less See more
#4 ·
interesting to say the least. I figured the heads and a single wouldnt play to nice, even at that much rpm's. looks like you need to get on Empires list for some performance heads, for this truck since coolant flow isnt an issue go big.

Got any graphs? im interested to see how the power carries out to 5k

#5 ·
Awesome man Thanks for using your truck to try to better work the tuning and progress things on the 6.4.
My truck makes peak HP at 2550 and then drops until 2850 and then starts picking up again and continues to pick up until 3200 where we get out of the throttle.
Ryans truck is the same way
It is almost like it heat soaks and drops and then picks back up?

It feels like something in the tuning is backing down the truck because of excess back pressure or .................... something.....
Sure wish I knew what it was.

I am going to try Eriks tune this winter on the same Dyno and see if the graph looks the same
Both the Spartan 310 with spray and the KEM 345 with spray show the same sort of mountain and then hill type graph

This is on a MD250 may be we are just spiking the Dyno but it holds up there for 2-400 RPM

#6 ·
Jonathan from Swamps brought along some cylinder pressure sensing equipment. This was very useful in knowing how far we could push timing and how it was effecting the engine.
I would be interested in what your findings were in this area :whs:

#7 ·
Do you think it could be simply the diameter of the intake and exhaust ports? Because you already built a new intake manifold we can all rule that out.

#9 ·
Thats a good point. There is more to fluid dynamics than just opening sizes and stuff, there are things that effect just about everything like 90 degree bends into the intake runners and inlet vs oulet sizing, so even though the intake might be bigger it may not flow as much air... might be the case might not be. The best way would be to flow bench the intake.

Whats the truck got for exhaust manifolds?
Can you confirm Emplire is building these for sure?
No. but last time I talked to them they were leaning twards doing them, i think they just need a little more commitment on the heads. But my opinion is that it will happen, there are a couple people that are ready to cut checks for the heads as soon as they are ready...

#10 ·
seems like your peak HP is between 35-3700...ringing its neck to 5000 RPM's arent helping it either or at least not making any difference.

the power and flow capacity of these heads have seemed to have been reached.

#11 ·
seems like your peak HP is between 35-3700...ringing its neck to 5000 RPM's arent helping it either or at least not making any difference.
the power and flow capacity of these heads have seemed to have been reached.
It would help him leave the line a bit quicker.

#14 ·
Dzchey21;

I agree that bends and curves are restrictive but in my opinion the air flow diameter must be greatly reduced somewhere. I say that because we have 50psi+ to push air past bends and curves. It must be some sort of a size or diameter restriction that’s limiting air flow.

I think Dirty Diesel made exhaust manifolds but I’m not sure what there fuel only #’s are???

#16 ·
Thanks for the post dzchey. I wasn't trying to be an a$$ in any way. I was just trying to add to the discussion.

#18 ·
I don't think there is any way you can argue with the results that the truck had this year. It may have not been a top truck every week but in the end when it was up against trucks a lot more powerful than it was it hung in there. Look at all the 900+ hp trucks that it beat at Schied's. Every week this truck is beating 800+ HP trucks. I didn't get the see the number that we wanted but it sure shows me that the truck has a very good setup. Just makes me excited when we actually have the truck "making power".

Yes, we tried a lot of things. I think about every pusse width from 1.5 to 2.5 was tested. We pushed timing into areas that people thought the motor should blow. We would have never tried that it without Swamps monitoring cylinder pressures. They were fine so it was like add another 4 degrees.

#21 ·
Thats respectable, and like i said average hp does better than peak anyway, thats why a 400 hp ford is faster than a 400 hp dodge. Same applies here i would think.

I just would like to see a 3.0 truck on the dyno and see what it puts down, and then take that same truck and hook it next to AR and see what the differences are..

For example i know that beans has a 2.8 truck that made 992 on the dyno... i would like to see them hook side by side, and then compare graphs side by side... might never happen but it would be cool to see.

#39 ·
Guy faxed me the dyno sheet from Monday's run. We did not print any of the Saturday runs. So sorry about the quality it is a scan of a fax.

#40 ·
Here is a pull down run of the truck to simulate pulling. Rev the truck up to 5200 or so them apply the load to pull it down the 3700 rpms over 8 seconds.

Here is just an out shot of the smoke at one run.

#46 ·
Am I reading the comparison numbers correctly for the boost and drive pressures. It is a little hard to read but it looks like the max boost is arround 52 and the drive pressure is below that. Just courious.

#50 ·
Empire Diesel did the heads or had someone do them. I have never personally had the heads off to see what was done to them.

The cam seems to be working right where it was designed for, right in that 4300 rpm range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.