Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Who is interested in OBS rear disc brakes and a new and superior option?

48K views 187 replies 41 participants last post by  chainfeed 
#1 ·
Currently there are 2 options that we are aware of for after market brakes on our trucks

1. Blackbirds, TSM, or DIY versions of disc brake conversions that use Eldorado calipers if you want to retain a parking brake (I believe they are required by law for on the road vehicles). While being somewhat of an upgrade from our marginal drum brake setups it uses a single piston caliper designed for a passenger car not a full size truck, that may or may not be pulling a trailer with a lot of additional weight.

2. Putting in a super duty axle. The problem here is that you now have a metric bolt pattern in the rear (Thanks Ford engineers!). Your options are A: Run different wheels for the front and rear B: Run wheel adapters that will space your wheels out a minimum of 4 inches (2” per side, and don’t forget SD axles are already wider). C: Change the front axles over to 99 and up as well.

Tech51 and I are working on a hub conversion that will allow you to purchase and install a super duty rear axle while retaining your 8x6.5 bolt pattern. The purchase of new wheels, wheel adapters etc. will not be necessary and you will have the stopping power of brakes designed for your vehicle. The first axle should be in the next couple of weeks and more information will follow. These will be available for purchase through a site vendor and instructions will be included for install etc.

We’re still working out a few of the kinks, trying to find the best source for hub production etc. Just wanted to get the word out there, let y’all know what we’re doing, see how many of you may be interested in these, and get a discussion going.

We will also recommend the purchase of a SD drive shaft as well so the companion flange on the SD axle can be re-used, although you could use the pinion yoke from your OBS axle and keep your drive shaft. Transferring the OBS yoke will presumably mess up the pinion seating depth etc. and require adjustments to be made for your gears to be setup properly.

This should be a fairly easy swap for most of you, however some welding will be required for the relocation of the shock tabs. The axle that I purchased had a removable shock mount that sat on a pin, it will allow us to swap it from the back to front mounting location and clock it accordingly for the shock mounting. We can then tighten the U bolts for the shock mount and tack it when it setup properly.

The current plan (and the first two sets being made) is to use machined 4140 Chromoly steel hubs, although the possibility of nodular iron casting (OEM style) is not entirely out of the question. These hubs will be made in the USA specifically for our OBS application. Nodular casting might reduce the price but would most likely require us to use a Chinese manufacturer and we are not willing to send any of your money over seas.

We’re still working on pricing and options but it looks like the hub conversion will run somewhere around $500-600. Pricing will be reduced if we can order these in larger numbers (group buy).

If you have any questions feel free to ask, we’ll be glad to answer them as best we can.

So who want’s a set??? :D

See less See more
#2 ·
I would be interested..........

#3 ·
I'm interested in a set!

#4 ·
Would these adapters work on a D80 superduty dually axle?

I've already converted to the hydroboost brakes but want rear disks on my dually. Was going to swap in a SD van dually rear axle since the vans kept the 8 on 6.5 pattern but they are cab/chassis and are too narrow. Need to use a regular SD dually axle but haven't figured out how to overcome the lug pattern - either a conversion like you're talking about, or somehow swap out my front suspension with a SD 2wd unit. Don't know if that's possible or not due to different frames.

#5 ·
Have you considered a d80 out of a dodge? I know you would then have dodge funk on your truck :poke:but the widths may be close.

#6 ·
Good thought. I'll have to do some research on Dodge D80 widths, lug thread pitches, etc. I'd assume that I'd have to strip the axle tubes and reweld all the spring perches and shock hangers.

Personally I wouldn't care if it was a dodge part or not cause when I'd be done with it, it'd be all ford. Well except for purchasing new rotors and pads!

#7 ·
LOL...just messin' with ya. The thread pitch should be the same...Ford is the only one that jacked everything up. I believe it's 9/16-18. I would assume that you are correct on the perches and hangers.

#10 ·
Thanks Dan! I'll look into it.

As far as the van axles go I don't remember what the deal was...let me refresh my memory. I'm pretty sure they're dana 70 axles, maybe it was a width issue. I'll get back to you on that.

#11 ·
they are dana 60 or 70 axles. The 60 would not be desirable because of the smaller ring gear and the torque that we put out. The 70 may well be an option but it seems there was some issue that I can't remember. the e450s use a dana 80 which should be DRW. Let me look back through some of my research.

#17 ·
no the 70 is an option. I called my ford parts guy and both 60s and 70s are offered in e350s. He couldn't tell me much more. 70 ring gears are 10.54 so that would be great. I did read that there is some offset of the carrier. I'm looking further into this.

#20 ·
Nice setup. I remember reading that site a few times. we just figured it might be a little more involved and require more welding etc than a lot of folks might be comfortable with.

#21 ·
here is my setup

#23 ·
I'm gonna have to call my junk yard guy tomorrow to take some measurements on d70 van axles. From my research so far A: most van axles have open diffs (would need to purchase a limited slip) B: many have high gearing (would need to re-gear) C: the center section may be offset (potential alignment issues with drive shaft). I'll try to confirm as much as this information as possible. You can never trust everything you read on the internet.

#26 ·
I'm gonna have to call my junk yard guy tomorrow to take some measurements on d70 van axles. From my research so far A: most van axles have open diffs (would need to purchase a limited slip) B: many have high gearing (would need to re-gear) Correction: The ones I'm looking at online are 60s but all 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10 C: the center section may be offset (potential alignment issues with drive shaft). Correction: Appears offset may be as little as .5" or as much as .9xx for all dana 70 axles (still not sure about the ford ones. Probably not a big deal on alignment. I'll try to confirm as much as this information as possible. You can never trust everything you read on the internet.
Corrected for better accuracy. I don't want to post BS statements

#25 ·
tried calling the quigley ford van folks this morning but they were no help and a little rude. The guy didn't even know they had dana 70s in the rear...he tried to tell me they were 10.5 sterlings. The DP article says they're running 60s in the rear. I can't imagine them using 60s instead of 70s for their 4wd conversions...

Quigley 4x4 Diesel Vans - Diesel Power Magazine

edit: called my parts guy and he's checking on a 60 he has on site for some measurements. We tried to check the 70s and 80s in his nationwide system and they seem pretty few and far between and pretty pricey...the 80 was $1650 and I'll ask him about the 70 price when he calls me back with measurements. I paid 300 for my 10.5 rear.

#27 ·
OK I had him take some measurements on the sixty he had on hand and check the price on the 70 in his system. Looks like the only one that really matters is the stud to stud measurement which was ~ 68". That was taken from the base of the stud where the wheels are gonna sit. Don't know anything about offset. The 70s in his system showed to be geared only in 4:10 or 4:56 and the price was $1300. Does somebody have a sterling axle minus the wheels laying around to measure?

perch to perch center hole was 50" so bare minimum you'd have to cut and weld spring perches. didn't get shock tab measurement. I would imagine those would need to be cut off and welded back on as well. So It may be an option but axle cost may be prohibitive and your definitely gonna have some cutting and welding to do. I think they use the same u joints as ours.

#31 ·
Just curious, why do want to keep your OBS rear? The SD rear is virtually the same just with discs. I know the pinion bearing is slightly smaller on the SD axle to accommodate the larger pinion shaft, but you can use 10.25 gears if you'd like to retain the larger pinion bearing and you can use your old yoke if you're careful not to throw off pinion depth.

There's always the Ford man option but there's a lot fab work involved.

#30 ·
Guess I should start a list. First two sets are on the UPS truck as we speak. I should have them in my hands by next Tues. or Wed. and the SD axle should be in my truck on Sunday.

#32 ·
Not to derail, but would a SD dually rear work in an OBS? I'm thinking of going to DRW and using adapters up front.

#33 ·
yes, it's dana 80. you'd just have to use wheel adapters up front or run two different sets of wheels. The wheel adapters need to be 2" minimum per side to change bolt patters so your front wheels will be spaced out 4". Other than that you'd be fine. I would also assume you would need to either upgrade your drive shaft to SD or see if you could use your old yoke or get one for an 80 that doesn't use a companion flange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.