Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Front End -- Rebuild

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  F350R 
#1 ·
Ok -- shocks, brakes,rotors are done,,,, I am looking to redo end links, ball joints ect is there any kits or packages available to do the front end except the hubs at this point, and are there any good products you can recomend, Im not a big fan of the china crap... any help would be great .... :confused:

#2 ·
Moog ball joints or if you want the very best Dynatrac ones. They will likely last longer thank you have the truck unless you are running seriously big meat. But they are $$$$$ Most go with Moogs for a nice upgrade from stock. You can grease these. You will also need the outer axle knuckle seal and axle dust seal. Check the needle bearings in the unit bearings when you pull them to get to the ball joints.Then heavily repack them with grease. If you do not have a press you will need to rent a ball press or take them to a garage and have the old and new swapped. When you go to tq ball joints take the bottom to 35 lbs and then the top to 70. I goto 69 and then check to see if I clear the cotter pin hole. Then add more to to clear the hole. Then slide a jack under the knuckle and pull some upward tension on it and tq the bottom to 135. If you do not put tension up on it from the jack it will likely spin without catching and you will not get much over 35-40 lb on it. You might but many times you need the tension.

For parts list:

Upper Ball Joint: MOOG K80026
Lower Ball Joint: MOOG K8607T
Yellow Seal for back of unit bearing: FORD F81Z 4A322AA
Knuckle Seal: FORD F81Z-3254-CB
Knuckle Dust Seal: FORD F81Z-1S175-HCA

Also do not forget a new cotter pin for the tie rod end. The old ones are usually really rough and break.

You will also need a to make a tool to drive on the knuckle seal.

Goto HD or Lowes

Rigid pipe (gasline pipe)

1 1/4" pipe (about 8-12" long)
1 1/4" floor flange
1 1/4" pipe cap

You then need to grind down the flange so it just fits inside the outer ring of the seal. Takes about 5 mins on a wheel grinder.

You can buy the tool for $65 or make it for $10-$15 and 5 min of time.

You also will want to replace the seal on the auto hugs if you have them if you have not in the last year.

4C3Z-1K106-AA You get two seals in one kit so unless you need ring clips on both you only need one.

Some emery cloth to 000 steel wool to clean up the seal surface and ball joint seats on the knuckles .

#3 ·
Tarm --- I love when you respond ... thanks for the detailed info.

What about tie rods and end links

#4 ·
I just finished the ball joints on mine. I ran out of time to do all of the tie rod ends they are waiting in the garage. Everything I bought is Moog and everything is greasable. Its a job but with just the ball joints it steers so much better, it actually stays on the road with input from every bump in the road. The tie rods are going this weekend then an alignment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.