Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Which Tire?

Less than 35" tires w/ 4" lift

5K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Jeff @ Spartan 
#1 ·
I have been looking in to tires here lately because I will be due for some new ones soon. My truck is still going to get used at the track quite a bit next year....probably more than this year. Since Proxes are WAY too small for a truck with a 4" lift, I was looking at maybe getting a 34.X" tall tire. This will get me closer to where I need to be with 3.73 gears and seems like it would be enough meat for a small lift.

The two tires I would choose between would be a 305/60/20 Toyo AT and a 295/60/20 Nitto Terra Grappler. The Toyo is 34.3" tall and 12.6" wide. The Nitto is 34.45" tall and 12.36" wide.

What do you guys think? And if anyone has pics of their 4" lifted truck with 34.X" tires, please post them up. Thanks!

#3 ·
Because I just put it on. I ran my current tires with just a leveling kit, and they are 325/60/20 Toyo AT's.....which measure out to be a little over 35" tall and right at 13" wide. I am not worried about what will fit. My main concern is getting a tire that will still look good on the truck how it sits, but will give me the best performance at the track. I think the 305/60/20 Toyo AT will suit my needs.

#9 ·
My vote goes to the 305/60's. None of our trucks are SRW, but if we had one it'd be leveled with 305/60-20s...

Which raises the question, would a four inch lift be too much fender for a 305/60?

#10 ·
I say keep 35s. Running fast on a lift and big tires looks more impressive than a lifted truck with small tires that were obviously chosen for speed. In a nutshell, more "whoa what the hell??" factor.

#13 ·
Welcome, bud!

I hear ya, but then again is the slightly larger tire really hurting you that much? If it's less than an inch, I can't see you noticing much difference. Now the price may be a little better though...

#14 ·
What is the RPM you want to be going thru the traps at?

The pic of the X new they start 1" lower than a PU. Also they start to sag almost form the day the leafs are put on as they were ####ty cheap mex steel. The x also is running the stock flares which covers small bit more of the opening. There is such a small dif in the tire sizes you are looking at that just the variation in the true size based on rim width is enough to completely blur these numbers. I would look more at the tire weights and choose the lighter ones that still have the load rating you need. If its for the track how well they stick would also be something.

So what is you goal top speed thru the traps and what RPM does your setup run flat at?

#17 ·
I have never been down the track with stock height tires, so I don't really know what RPM I need to be at going through the traps compared to what I am going through the traps at. I have ran Proxes down the strip, which are over an inch shorter than stock and I have ran 35's down the track which are about 2" taller than stock.

[/url] side view truck by MooringProduct, on Flickr[/IMG]

33" x 13.5 on a 4" lift.

325/60/18 I will post up 1/4 times soon. Best to date on 35" is 13.51 @99mph
[/url] front of truck by MooringProduct, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url] rear of truck by MooringProduct, on Flickr[/IMG]
That looks really good to be 4" with 33" tall tires, but I think the fact that you have fender flares makes the 33" tires look right.

#15 ·
[/url] side view truck by MooringProduct, on Flickr[/IMG]

33" x 13.5 on a 4" lift.

325/60/18 I will post up 1/4 times soon. Best to date on 35" is 13.51 @99mph

#22 ·
Jeff, I say do some research on the toyos and those nittos. See which ones wear the best, and then decide which ones you like the look of the best. I am partial to the way that those nittos look. I think they have a clean and aggresive look to them. They look good on Dustins truck as well. As far as thise sizes go, I couldnt imagine them making a difference at the track.

#23 ·
I have had both and they wear pretty much the same. I got 34,000 hard miles (lots of burnouts lol) out of a set of Terra Grapplers that were E rated, and I have gotten at least 35,000 out of these Toyo AT's (D rated) I have right now, with another 10,000 on them....maybe more. Either tire works for me. I don't think the tires will be much different at the track, but I think that 3/4" difference might help on the back half.....I could be wrong though. Maybe that small of a change in tire size won't effect much of anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.