Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

5 Channel amps ? where to mount in 05?

7K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  F-117HWK 
#1 ·
Looking at going with a 5 channel. I would love a JL 900/5...but cant justify the $.

I've been looking at this one:

Audio Savings | HIFONICS ZEUS ZXI60.4+1K BEST 5 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER EVER!

^^^^ Not buying from that site....just used the link to show specs. looks like the amp can be had for 300 shipped...

I've heard these are great amps for the money. It is 23.62 inches long though...

Dont know if there is room to mount in the truck.....

What other five channels in this price range would you recommend?

#2 ·
I just picked up the Alpine PDX-5 (Alpine PDX-5). Birthing sheet shows it to be very underrated.

Just built a little amp rack for right behind the passenger rear seat. Thing is only like 8-10" wide by 6-8" tall.

That JL though was the most recommended small 5 channel I found when researching, but at almost a grand for the JL I think Ill try the $280 (from SonicElectronix) PDX-5 and see what it gets me.

Everything is installed just need to connect all the wires. Running 4 Infinity 682.9's in the doors and a 12" shallow Pioneer in one of the ported boxes from Speed Of Sound. Ill throw up my results when I get the final hook ups made.

I have read lots of good reviews of that Zeus though. Its just very big.

#3 ·
I just picked up the Alpine PDX-5. Birthing sheet shows it to be very underrated.

Just built a little amp rack for right behind the passenger rear seat. Thing is only like 8-10" wide by 6-8" tall.

That JL though was the most recommended small 5 channel I found when researching, but at almost a grand for the JL I think Ill try the $280 (from SonicElectronix) PDX-5 and see what it gets me.

Everything is installed just need to connect all the wires. Running 4 Infinity 682.9's in the doors and a 12" shallow Pioneer in one of the ported boxes from Speed Of Sound. Ill throw up my results when I get the final hook ups made.
Let me know what you think when you get it installed. I really want overkill as far as rated watts. (clean power at low levels)

#4 ·
I'm running a JL 500/5 and IMO it has plenty of juice. Rest of the system consists of (2) JL 10" subs, Boston Acoustic 6.5" separates in the front, and Boston Acoustic 5x7's in the rear.

#5 ·
Will do. I think the birth sheet read like 100RMS x4 and 396RMS x1 or something around there which goes along with the 75 and 300 rating advertised. You may be looking for something more powerful though.

Ill see how it sounds and throw a response back up here hopefully this week.

#7 ·
those PDX amps will be very easy to find a spot for in the truck Gare.

I did some poking around and the 5-channel amps from all the other big names don't have nearly as potent a punch as the PDX and are mostly all bigger and/or pricier.

Should be able to mount it somewhere along the back wall, down low on the passenger side probably.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. I think Im gonna rob the system out of the Tracker and replace it later. 4 channel JBL for a pair of 6.5 components up front and a pair of 5x7 coaxs for rear fill in the back. Polk 500 watt amp on two MTX 10s for now. Gonna run the factory deck through a JL cleansweep or Memphis equivalent.

Ive got an old school (early 90s) Punch 150 HD I can put back into the Tracker once I score some more subs for it. This should save me alot of coin doing it this way.

#9 ·
i say the memphis belle. that thing is huge and it will rock the crap out of anything. i have one in my boat, my truck, and my excursion. rms is 75x4@4ohm and 1000x1@1ohm. the only problem is space, but if you could place it you will never regret it. oh ya if you need memphis pm me.

#14 ·
On the older belles they only had one input for the sub side. So if you really had to have both left and right you need to buy their bridging module. You cannot use a y adaptor. As far as ohms you cannot go lower than 1 ohm. Memphis does make a baby belle where the sub wattage isn't as strong. The big belle has crazy amounts of power even turned down. You should see and hear what a belle does to a tc sounds 10. It has 3 total inches of excursion and I have blown the surround on two so far. These are in a sealed box.

#16 ·
On the older belles they only had one input for the sub side. So if you really had to have both left and right you need to buy their bridging module. You cannot use a y adaptor. As far as ohms you cannot go lower than 1 ohm. Memphis does make a baby belle where the sub wattage isn't as strong. The big belle has crazy amounts of power even turned down. You should see and hear what a belle does to a tc sounds 10. It has 3 total inches of excursion and I have blown the surround on two so far. These are in a sealed box.
if it ends up being an older model, how much is this piece?

#20 ·
you will be fine. it will hit. dont worry about the right on sub. just hook up the left on the sub and your good to go. dont worry about ohms on the sub side. when you actually hook it up you will be amazed. this is the one i have in my boat and it hits hard. i mounted mine right under the seat in the middle towards the rear hump.the only way the theives will get it will be ruining it. but thats in my 99 dont know about yours.

#26 ·
When yall spray your boxes/racks with glue for carpeting was it coming out evenly? I got the 3M spray glue with carpeting from partsexpress.com and that stuff was shooting out all over the place. Huge PITA to work with. Worked out in the end but I was expecting a more uniform spray pattern like spray paint.

Also Josh, I talked to Michael at spl2k like you suggested and he hooked me up with a single 12 ported. Beautiful craftsmanship and the fit is perfect. Now I just need to get around to plugging it all in :doh:

Gare if you haven't bought a box yet I highly recommend giving Michael a call. I think he has actually started lurking on here more frequently lately as well.
928-680-6868

Also here is the link you were asking Josh for
SPL2K Boxes

#32 ·
Good deal, just take it slow last thing I connect is power get all your grounds connected first. I'll usually get everything connected and leave the battery connection for dead last. I still get a little unerved when making the final connection but electricity has never been my thing.

Its pretty amazing how much sound that back seat blocks when driving around isn't it?

#33 ·
I ran the ground right to that big bolt where the jack was bolted in. Ground off all the paint a inch or more in every direction so I hope that will suffice.

I too hate electricity after a bad run in with a wall light switch. Lets just say my father forgot to inform me that he had flipped the breaker back on before I had pushed all the wires back in and when I went to do that got stuck to the wall for a while haha.

AMAZING. I hear every damn creak and rattle right now. Making me think about ordering some dynamat/other to do real quick while I have the seats and everything out. But then again I never minded anything with the seats there so maybe its not needed.

#34 ·
That should work good.

Yup I've done that a few times, luckily never most that a small shock though, but put some battle scars on some screw drivers and some pliars. My dads main/favorite trade is electrical and he's been doing it for years so he never cuts the power when doing the finish electrical, probably best he didn't tell me it was still hot otherwise I would been super paranoid lol scared a painter real good when I got a big spark out of a box 3' away from him.

Same here with the seat up I don't seem to hear anything from back there but it sure does seem like nearly an open window for noise to come through. Its the next spot I want to deaden, but it'll come when I can budget for it.

#35 ·
FYI ..i just swapped to the JL 500/1 and this sub absolutely loves it. setting being all the same..it hits WAY harder and lower.. amzing what the difference makes. FYI also, i guess the signal on the 13JL ... its dual voice coils split with each getting 1.5 ohm ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.