Ford 5th Wheel Prep Package for SB - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.7L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:43 PM
superduty123
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Ford 5th Wheel Prep Package for SB

With Job2 Ford has released the 5th wheel hitch for the Shortbed

I wanted to add it to my order but the dealer is telling me not to as it is only good if you buy a Ford Specific 5th wheel hitch

I don't have a 5th yet, only thinking about getting one. But the prep package seemed like a good idea with the bracing bar they put underneath

For those of you who do ahve a 5th wheel, or the Long bed with the prep package, is it worth it?
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 PM
JimTJr
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: Ford 5th Wheel Prep Package for SB

If your pulling a 5th wheel camper, from what I understand you need a "Slider" hitch to pull one, or chance having your cab damaged when you turn sharply.
As far as the factory setup goes, I heard both ways, that there is a special hitch by Reece for the Ford factory setup, then I have heard that you can buy one that will fit aftermarket. I elected NOT to do the factory setup. For a couple of reasons, First the factory 5er hitch is 1600.00 from Ford and I couldn't get a straight answer about any aftermarket options, also here are 5 holes in the bed with it. The B&W hitch only has ONE hole in the center of the bed. However I don't think the B&W hitch has a slider option, you will need to get one made for short beds. I imagine all the hitch manufacturers have sliders to pick from.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 PM
BWilliams
President of SoCAPS
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to BWilliams Send a message via Yahoo to BWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty123 View Post
With Job2 Ford has released the 5th wheel hitch for the Shortbed

I wanted to add it to my order but the dealer is telling me not to as it is only good if you buy a Ford Specific 5th wheel hitch

I don't have a 5th yet, only thinking about getting one. But the prep package seemed like a good idea with the bracing bar they put underneath

For those of you who do ahve a 5th wheel, or the Long bed with the prep package, is it worth it?
I will look it back up again, but I believe it's only setup for pulling a "Gooseneck" type trailer with the short bed, not a 5th wheel.

Sunrise Ford Fleet 16005 Valley Blvd, Fontana, Ca 92335

2008 F250 Crew Cab 4X4 SRW Short Bed Lariat 6.4L / 5 Speed Auto Bright Red
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 AM
JimTJr
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

That may very likely be. I wish they had offered the factory gooseneck option on mine! (Well, kinda wish),,, the B&W is a great choice. I love it in my 03, and am getting one for my '11.
I really wondered if they encouraged 5th wheel hauling with the short bed.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Greenshield
Diesel Therapist
Member's Gallery

I have been looking at a fiver and have a SB 08. I camp alot and have noticing more SB with 5'ers now than long beds on a regular. I thought you had to have a slider too, but alas I was wrong. I have been looking for an Open Range 5'er and saw one at our last camp stop. I went up to the man who had an 09 f-250 two wheel drive short bed. He was older and after talking for a while found hes has had 4 5'ers. I asked how the SB and he said with the length of the Pin and the shaping of the noses on the trailer, he turns to 88 degrees. He saw the skepticism in my eyes. He invited me back the next day when he planned on pulling off. I came back and dang if he didn't pull an almost right angle with room to spare. The pin box was not an after market lengthened one like I have seen, they are bad as they move the weight too far back. It was factory and the shape of the cone wasn't wierd looking at all. .....now I am a believer.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 AM
superduty123
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

On the Ford documentment titled Major Product Changes for the 2011 Superduty dated 10/1/10 it lists under Job 2 Order Guide updates

"5th Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Pin Prep Package (53W) optional on Lariet and King Ranch"

Is there anyway to verify it WILL handle the 5th???
Old 10-23-2010, 02:36 PM
JimTJr
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

It will tow it,,but like I said, there could be clearance issues with the cab in tight turns,,,
Old 10-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Twotone08
RLNCOAL
Member's Gallery

To clear up any misconceptions.

The FORD 5th wheel only works with the factory prep package and a aftermarket 5th wheel WILL NOT work with the prep package. You can also install the FORD gooseneck along with their 5th wheel. Any new Superduty with the prep package will handle either of the FORD gooseneck and or 5th wheel.

Any time your pulling with a short bed, you'll have to make sure there isn't a lot of over hang on your trailer. If it is close, then you will probably need a slider, which will not work with a Prep package. If you are pulling with a goose and need cab clearance, you're pretty much boned unless you are using a B&W brand gooseneck since they off their extender which gives you an additional 4" of set back.

In all honesty, you are better off going with out the prep package b/c your options are a LOT cheaper. Especially if you ever upgrade your 5er and need a heavier hitch than 16k.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:41 PM
BWilliams
President of SoCAPS
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to BWilliams Send a message via Yahoo to BWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotone08 View Post
In all honesty, you are better off going with out the prep package b/c your options are a LOT cheaper. Especially if you ever upgrade your 5er and need a heavier hitch than 16k.
um, the 5th wheel hitch that is orderable directly from Ford is the Elite Series and is rated for 25,000 lbs.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:27 PM
JimTJr
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilliams View Post
um, the 5th wheel hitch that is orderable directly from Ford is the Elite Series and is rated for 25,000 lbs.

Yes,, but there are CHEAPER, (Not quality wise) options out there. The Ford Prep package is not reasonably priced when you buy the factory option, 370.00, I saw on EBAY the factory GOOSENECK parts are 220.00, and the 5th wheel hitch is 1,600.00!
You can have a B&W, complete, ALL NEW for 1,100 bucks. 399 for the gooseneck, and 799 for the "Companion"

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 186
00powersmoke, 02BigD, 03-blue-Powerstroke, 04fx4drw, 06 KR, 06-sixoh, 16yrenthusiest, 6.0 p-stroke, 6L strokin, 7.3 superior duty, 79289Chase, 97Stroke582, 99redf350, abr, ADubDiesel, ajordan193, as6.4stroke, AZ08, AZCrazian, baddawg, badluck_early99, Balla6.7, bcangelo, BeerCan, Berrybr2, Big Jim 54, Big Papa 03 dually, bigblue350, BIGCSS, bigpete73, black7.3, Bldghosp, BlkWolfe, bluemountianpowerstroke60, bobvillaoftn, Boywonder, brmccolley, brmpipes, BuckMaster300Mag, buckshot, BWilliams, CALADASH, cantrellc123, cardiac, CCSracer13, Chad Edwards, ChaseN, chodifer, co04cobra, cobrat03, colfaxent, collins590, Coltaine, copperhead99, Cutty72, Deagon Kennels, Deerezilla, Dieselgeek, dieselman64, djbutler, doubledoor, DoubleTake, dpwilson, duallyman, easy4, eleventhtruck, erikclaw, erskine_e, Focus1, ford7.3sd, fordboy424, fordman4286, Frans96ss, gaf350, Goose1995, grainbin, Greenshield, harrison, HiVoltage, Honeyshucks4, hudu, IFlyEm, JAKE, Jake2345, JD F350, jdc753, jello, Jesse_01, jimcb1, JimTJr, jtk830, justin1889, justintimemoto, KevinF350, knoxville, kowalski22, krc0864, LOSTCAUSEPOWERSTROKE, loudmouth, LRTMatt, LuckyFarmKid, Lyrch75, MADMAN36, malfurious, mattfolkman, maverick347, maverik2711, Mdub707, me2, medicman88, mentalite, moore20017.3, Mpoage, MSG U, Mudlight, nitrogen, odbsolo, Oilfield Trash, OKState, Orcus, pdizzleinmt, PJB, plumber802, poon, Powersmoker, Powerstrokin444, powertrip, powr2stroke, Proffitt, psdguy08, pstroke96, racerxray1, redimix08, REDMAN00, RedMule, RHCDIESEL, rhinopc60, Rmartin-97, Rob02F350, rob10970, sagebel, SAK, Sapps, Sciulli, scott2001, Scotte, Scotty2fast, SCPSD, semomotorsports, SFC1984, sick97psd1, Signalmaintainer, SKIRK, Skrugs, SledDogg, Squatch, sschwindt, Strokin' Something, StrokinAces1973, strokinDa6.4, superduty123, surveyor13, svfpd73, switchmode, t444epsd, TALNRO, Tampa450, Ten_Bucks, texasredneckjae, th3godf4th3r, timfinnegan, toads250, toolmangary, Torque37, TrainWreck, turbodiesel_02, Twotone08, uga33, WestCoaster, WesternWA6.4, wildstang3, xidex, yosemiddysam, zaairman, zx800x