Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

traction bars

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Layson 
#1 ·
I keep hearing that farmboy fabrications make a great traction bar, and almost eliminates axle wrap. I did a google search and couldn't find them?

Right now, I'm pricing each companies traction bars (OUO, PMF, and Farmboy FAb.) All I've heard is great things from each of these three, so I'm looking for the cheapest now...

#2 ·
How far do you plan on taking performance modifications on your truck?

Reason I ask is because I have the farmboy bars and they are great...but had I known when I bought them the point to which I would buid the truck I would have gone with the OUO bars.

The farmboy bars are the cheapest of the bunch and they do great! I really do like mine...dont get me wrong.

If you plan on going big I would spring for the OUO bars with blocks attached (traction blocks) I think they are called.

#3 ·
I already bought a leveling kit already(not installed yet), but as far as performance...I'm about to buy cold side IC pipe, intake, downpipe, 5'' straight exhaust, nitrous, head bolts, and as mentioned..traction bars or blocks if it's that much better.

My only mod that I'm not buying this coming week and will do in the future is adding a wastegate.

And where do you buy the Farmboy's if I go that route?

#4 ·
I would recommend the OUO bars, IMO they are the best designed bar on the market. They are what I run on one of my personal trucks (2007 F-350).

Since you have a short bed you can go with the OUO fixed bar option to save a little coin.

With a weld-on axle mount:
http://www.trucktoyzstore.com/realm/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1865&idcategory=366

With a weld-on axle mount (you can select the fixed bar in the drop down menu):
http://www.trucktoyzstore.com/realm/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2615&idcategory=366

Here is a video of the OUO Traction Blocks in action.....Traction Bars work the same way, just a different mount at the axle:

#6 ·
^what do you mean by that, are you saying he's just marketing?

I don't have a lot to spend...I'll never go extreme as far as lift, and I doubt I'll ever go past 600 hp. What's the best bang for the buck. I know OUO is great, but they seem high.

#7 ·
OUO are worth every penny they ask...imo
i really cant comment on anything else in your choices because i have no experience with the other two...i know i made the mistake of buying bars that did nothing that i needed them to and then ended up buying OUO after,so in my opinion do it right the first time or it'll cost you double...

#9 ·
if you plan on adding nitrous....my guess is you will end up with more than you plan on as far as performance modifications.

Just get the OUO bars and be done. As I stated, if I had it to do again, Id go with them.

#10 ·
^SPATEL: Ok, sounds like I'll go with them...are doing traction bars suffice or does traction blocks make that much difference, asking since I'm going with the leveling kit.

#13 ·
i made my own ouo style traction block with a 4 inch block for my truck, im sure the actual OUO stuff is way better than what i made, but even with the little suspension knowledge that i have they work awesome, no wrap at all, it was like driving a whole new truck when i made them.

#14 ·
KRSD11,

I am in the same dilemna and I am choosing to go with the OUO bars. I did a lot of research also and I trust those who say it's better to be safe than sorry. Sure u might save a buck or two, bt u know the OUO traction blocks are top notch and they look great.

Send SAK from Truck Toyz a PMl, he will walk through the process and make sure u get the right stuff. He is a good guy and very helpful.

Good luck....

#15 ·
As for the bars or blocks......they both will work identical.

Most cost effective setup with a short bed is the weld on fixed bar setup that I linked in my previous post. With a leveling kit this is a very nice setup.

You can see the traction blocks and all the various options for them here:
http://www.trucktoyzstore.com/realm/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2612&idcategory=420

With a leveling kit you could run the 4" traction block, if you wanted to go that route.

#17 ·
Just wondering how the pro comp traction bars are?

#19 ·
Ok cool. I do not know much about them. What makes some better than others. I am running 35's but going to 37's. I have a six inch lift and am running the kem 345 tune. Thanks Taylor

#22 ·
Ok, who sell's Farmboys...looked on google and couldn't find anything, but threads regarding info.

#24 ·
Some like to keep the rear mounts high on the axle for the best ground clearance. While this may look cleaner it will do nothing to control wrap. The drop below the axle has to be sufficient especially on higher HP and TQ trucks in order to work as intended. The OUO design takes all this into account. I run the Traction blocks w/ a leveling kit and find them to be flawless. Best money spent on my truck to date imo. This link explains the particulars very well. http://www.oneupoffroad.com/images/OUO_Traction_System_Intro.pdf

#26 ·
^I'll prob go with OUO, but are Farmboys comparable to OUO. Ok, I'll check facebook...

#28 ·
^so I should feel embarassed for asking that?:doh:
Anyways, I'm going with OUO. I'm going to go with traction bars instead of blocks because if I ever want to go bigger lift, I can keep same bars instead of having to go bigger traction blocks if I went that route, right?

#29 ·
Anyone from around Ga with the OUO traction bars. If so where is the best place to have them put on.

Taylor

#30 ·
I live near toccoa, ga...there's two great 4x4 fab shops up here in seneca, SC(glenn's muffler shop, great welder and he specializes in custom off roading), and there's Clemson 4x4 shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.