Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

And so it begins, (really began 2 hours ago lol)

20K views 153 replies 21 participants last post by  Jeff @ Spartan 
#1 ·

Big thanks to Aaron @ Rudys and Tadd @ Elite. :rockon: :ford:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, I'm about a 1/4 way through it.

#8 ·
Hey guys thanks for the well wishes, I got a few questions though. My motor has a 135,000 miles on it so i dont know if this is normal or not. Once I got the factory elbow and egr valve removed, I noticed ALOT of sludge build up in the elbow. I looked in the intake and theres even more (like a 1/4" think in some spots). I removed a lot of it as far as I could get my fingers, and I'm about to vacuum out any little crumbs. I'm assuming this is 75% from oil in the intake system from blow by and 25% from soot from the egr. Would I be correct in thinking so and would a crankcase vent/bypass help reduce this? I noticed oil in the boots and cold side pipe too, I assume thats normal though and it just built up over time. I'll take some pics.

#10 ·
For that mileage probably normal for sure. just clean as much as u can get out. every little bit can help. look into the bypass system too for the ccv, ive been tryin to find one. if u find a good setup post it up :poke:

#11 ·
You can use the tube from the stock air box that has a 90 degree bend in it and simply trim and use that for the ccv. Cut it so you use the 90 bend and route it straight down. If that makes sense.

#12 ·
I'm just going to buy a moroso oil breather can (1qt) and route it to the oil fill. I'll probably look into one of dirty diesels fabricated filler necks he has on his farm truck and get rid of that bulky plastic one too.

#13 ·
Getting the stock up pipe out cab on sucks by the way, but saves me some dough. Everyone around here wants at least 1600.00-1700.00 just to lift the cab.

#14 ·
? do I need to plug the other two ports on the manual boost controler?

#15 ·
Ok, the 2 piece down pipe is stuck, I'm running out of time to get it off and to a welder so that part may have to wait till next weekend. I think I'm just going to for now do the cooler delete and put it all back together. I got to have it running for work. Give me time to order that moroso breather can too.

#17 ·
No I was trying to get the 2 piece down pipe apart to get it off and to a welder for the waste gate dump, and also out of the way to remove the bad up pipe and replace it with the new one. The lower half is stuck to the upper half and its already 4:15 here so I wont be able to get it welded today and there closed tomorrow. Im just going to do that part next weekend. Today I'm just doing the egr and cooler delete.

I'll have some pics up in a sec.

#19 ·
Exhaust leak

Sludge build up in the elbow

CFM installed

Gunk in the EGR port

Oil in the turbo

Turbo has no shaft play in any direction BTW so I guess thats good.

#28 ·
Yeah its crazy what they do to keep the crap out of the tail pipe by storing it in the motor lol.

#38 ·
Well done for the night, got to fab up a temp blocker plate to do me for just a week in the morning. Unless I can run with out the back pressure sensor hooked up, I kinda doubt it though.

#39 ·
So how did you even manage to get those up pipe bolts off from the turbo with the cab on? Just curious.

btw that gunk, you should pull the intake off some time and see all the junk in there. what a mess. i pressure washed mine for over an hour just to get that crap out.

#41 ·
Yeah I can get to them, as long as the down pipe is out of the way. The problem was the 2 piece down pipe didnt want to sepporate. The lower half has to come out first then I can remove the upper half from the turbo. I'll work on that next weekend, I just have to button it back up and make it driveable for next week.

Yeah and at some point maybe when its paid off and we get that new 5.0 stang we want I'll rebuild the entire motor and clean everything.

#44 ·
Yeah it has to be all the soot and mud and crap thats got it stuck, I know I clamped the chit out of it when I installed it because it blew apart after the first test run. I'll get it no worries, just going to stick with the egr/cooler delete for this week and do the wastgate next weekend.

#43 ·
i know exactly what you mean with all the gunk,i just switched intake elbows recently and couldn't believe what the intake looked like in there, on another note i did the ccv mod about 6 months ago with that same can,it is bigger than it looks and im not sure about your truck but mine had no place whatsoever in the engine bay.well i could of stuffed it in one place but getting to the drain under wasn't happening,i didn't want to mount it under the cab because of fumes coming in the cab,where i have it the wind does blow it all out of the way and it does smoke if it just sits idling, just might want to think about those few things when mounting it,for the torque tube i just put in a plumbers plug and tightened it and it works great, well figured i would share some pics...

Attachments

#45 ·
Yeah thats a good spot for it, I might use that location. I have the S&B intake, the tube has a 90* elbow molded into it for the crank case hose. I'll have to just put a heatercore plug on it.

#48 ·
For the ccv im welding a bung into the downpipe so it maintains some vaccum on the crank case. My 6.0l vented to the atmosphere and after 110000 on it the rocker assembly and injectors were sludgy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.