Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Will HD alternator damage dead batteries?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Coltaine 
#1 ·
A while back I found an answer to this question but can't locate my source now.

If you run your batteries down to the point you can't start your truck, will a high amperage alternator (200a, 250a, or 300a) damage the batteries when its charging them back up?

Thanks in advance for the help.

#7 ·
well, its never good to completely run your batteries down.

I guess if your batteries were towards the end of there life and you ran them down then it would most likely kill them. If its a new battery and you do it then it might shorten its useful life but should be ok.

#9 ·
I could be wrong... But if you run your batteries down, it isn't the alternator that is going to harm your batteries - it is running them down. Traditional batteries are not designed for "deep cycling" and are hurt each time you do it. Optima, deep cycle, and other equivalents are designed to withstand deep cycling, however even they will eventually lose the ability to maintain a charge.

Sam

#10 · (Edited)
True, Automotive and Deep Cycle batteries are two different animals...
What hurts batteries - my experience in the deep cycle, end user neglect world - is leaving batteries in a discharged state TOO Long. And worse in the winter where freezing could occur. In a discharged state, the acid/electrolite and distilled water separate, thus the potential to freeze. Also in deep cycles, if the top of the plates are exposed to the atmosphere, thats not good either.
Deep cycles are engineered for deep drawdowns and then recharging...most importantly the batter chargers will measure resistence and charge the battery based on depth of discharge, charge rate,,,so it can get complicated...:postwhore2:
Correct me if I am mis-speaking...Auto batteries are engineered and sealed with a certain amount of electrolite and plate mass. Deep Cycle batteries have access so you can service them - read Distilled water ONLY - when they gas off during a discharge*** and recharge*** and are just packed full of lead/paste plate mass.
So if your running a deep cycle battery in a vehicle that your not discharging a bunch all the time, with proper maintenance they should last a VERY long time. Auto batteries IMHO are engineered to give basic service for a couple years, vent/gas off and then die...so they can sell more batteries...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.