Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Aftermarket hoods

25K views 43 replies 27 participants last post by  Clintonj/7.3 
#1 ·
Since my hood has a good sized chip on it that cant be fixed without getting a complete repaint, im in the market for a cowl hood. I dont want to spend the money to repaint the stock hood. So with that said who makes a good METAL hood... I dont want any fiberglass crap. American made preferably...

Thanks

#3 ·
Take a look at Reflexxions and there are a couple others that are fairly low prices cowl hoods. I think you are smart going with steel and not fiberglass. The keystone heat extractor hood has got to be one of the coolest looking hoods for the older Super duties the issue is fitment and the fiber glass gel coating have been issues for a number of people. Many never could get a good paint cover job and the hinges started to show cracking with in a year. Sucked as I really wanted to order that hood.

Reflexxion Automotive - Hoods
2004-08 Ford F150<br/>1999-07 Ford Superduty Cowl Induction Steel Hoods > LMC Truck > Cowl Induction Steel Hoods For 2004-08 Ford F150<br/>1999-07 Ford Superduty

#4 ·
I've had a fiberglass ram air hood for going on 5 years. No issues with paint, or fitment. I did spend about 1.5 hours scuffing and cleaning it before paint.

#8 ·
Reflexxion is what came to my mind for a metal cowl.

To go along with the other Fiberglass comments, I have had my Keystone Heat Extractor on my one truck since 2001.

Then I may look at them again. Just the 2 or 3 neg comments I had read put me off. Last thing I want is to have to pull a hood and even if covered by a warranty have to go thru paying to have it sprayed again etc.. Taking a $500 re-painting hit for a defective product is what was my main concern. I really like the way it looks and wanted one for some time. I still really like them. Not many have them and they offer a very unique look compared to most of the typical cowl and scooped hoods. The one area on the 99-07 I felt could stand improvement was the hood. It lacks that bold look. That hood with its raised style adds mass to the front profile. I really like that look. May have to give them a call and see what they say. The other one I had considered was the Reflexxions Eagle cowl hood. It was different but not sure how much I would like the style after awhile. The recessed center would look good painted to match the accent color on a two tone.

#10 ·
i just got my cervinis ram air hood during the rebuild of my engine and fitment is great!!

#12 ·
Just Stroken,

I have to say your truck looks great. The black on Red looks awesome for color scheme. Ever thought going black on the grill?

#14 ·
YEh One guy had spider cracks bad and had to have it swapped out. The other guy the gel coat was not good at all and had to do a good amount of work to get it to mount right. But again these are only two cases I read on the net. I think if you do a search on google you can find them. But this was back before I knew anyone on a forum or otherwise that had one. I am more willing to believe opinions here from those that have good reps than some anonymous ones from the net. I think I will end up getting one of these. Likely this winter or next spring. DO you have some pics of your truck where it shows the hood from a few different angles. If so could you post them up or PM me them or links to them. Thanks.

#17 ·
I have very few pics online of that truck at the moment as the place I used to use for a gallery decided to do away with the gallery feature.

Here's a couple shots where you can see the shape of the hood...I will look for some more or snap a few in the next couple of days.

#16 ·
I have had the Reflexxions steel hood on my truck since January of 2003. No problems, been a great hood!! For anyone thinking about making their own hood, I still have my stock hood just sitting in a barn , FREEEEEEE if someone wants it to play with???/ !!!

#18 ·
Damn THAT IS NICE!!!!

Yes I like the way the hood has some height to it right from the front. It gives the SD a better tougher front look. Its the one of the few things I found distasteful of the stock setup. That is EXACTLY what I am wanting.

I know I have read before on it but in the first set of vents in the middle of the hood what happens to water build up from heavy rain? Are there drain holes that drain is out somewhere. What about the rear?

BTW those sure are some wide 15.50 tires.

#22 ·
Yep it really gives the truck a much meaner front view impression. Massive

#27 ·
Thank you very much that is exactly the shots I was looking for and then some.

I know you get this all the time but you have done a great job with that truck. That you very much for the respect if conveys. I am sure any that has seen service has to fee that way.

That paint job must have taken some serious time.

Anyways thanks again fro the hood shots. No doubt about it that is the one I am going with for sure now.

If you do find the in cab shot please throw it up. Interested to see how it looks from the cab

#29 ·
Cool Also looks like a good amount of room under the cowl. Nice. Looks like you almost could fit a whole gauge set under there. LOL

#32 ·
al you guys have nice rigs! WOW lots of hard work and $$$$ ... But the quality is awsum:ford::bowfast:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.