Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.4 Heads.... gauging interest

12K views 100 replies 35 participants last post by  Dallas@SunCoast 
#1 ·
Well we have reached a limit on the 6.4 heads and looking to gauge some interest in an aftermarket head.

How many would be interested?

It would be a street-able head that still has the ability to run water?

Flow numbers would be drastically improved.

How much $ are you guys willing to drop on a set? (If we pull the trigger on this we are going to have some major $ of our own tied up and I need to get a initial feel on turn around on investment to see it can even be feasible)

Please be realistic on money.

#15 ·
i guess it depends on just how good they are...

For me i would say 2-3000 would be what i would pay.
hard to say ... but i would hope for no more than 3000 if That...but i would hope for full port and polish. aftermarket springs, hardend seats and bigger valves/better valves.. for that price...i would also hope in the next few years the prices on heads will drop significatly once aftermarket parts(valve springs valves etc...) become cheaper
i do understand that intitally it will be spendy for sure.. but once all the machining/processes get rolling i would think it would be cheaper too..:confused:
just curious but whats your costs gonna be ruffly to perform such work to a set of heads? im not tryin to lowball or undermine you in ANY WAY. so please dont think i am..

i had a full ported,fire ringed, hypermax springs and larger/harder valves, ran me 3,000 for my 7.3

#5 ·
Wow, that would definitely be interesting.

#8 ·
For me I would need water jackets to make it DD.

#16 ·
I am in the same boat as Dustin. I am sure these things will be awesome, but may be in the wish list for a later date since throwing so much at it so recently.

#17 ·
Right now a full set of Dmax dressed up heads are 4K but the man hours are crazy to get a dmax head to this type of level. I would like to think that we could get them to the end user for that 3-4K area all depends on the final design of the head. We have done some research on what we believe its going to take for a CFM number and where the current flaws are on the head. The factory head if one was not going to run water could reach the proper CFM, but at the amount of material needed to be taken out the head life expectancy is diminished very heavily

There will not be any real needs to port or polish on the new casting design if all goes well. Probably a little dress up and de bur but thats about it. Valve train options we have available now are sufficient to support the level needed so there will not be much cost in RnD there. Most cost is giong to be tied up in the casting and man hours.

#18 ·
The updated valve train I have on my heads could be swapped onto your new castings?

#20 ·
The positives i see to this is there will be no need for a core, which is good considering about half of the trucks out there dont have a good core to begin with, that would definatly help save some money. Also for some of us who have upgraded valve springs and push rods it would be nice to be able to reuse some of that stuff to help save the cost of doing things twice.

The price is reasonable, i would pay that for sure, just take me a little longer to save for it.

SO are you saying that there will be a need for say a cam to go with the heads to say make 1000 hp? If so how big of a cam are we talking? Cutting pistons for me is out of the question.

#23 ·
That estimated price sounds really good. I was thinking twice that amount.

#25 ·
Ahh geeee!

I dont know what to do anymore?!

Im assuming these heads wont be available for quite a while?

If they are proven to flow enough for 1000HP on fuel.....? Im no expert by any means but wow.
What kind of supporting mods do you need out of a truck to flow 1000HP on fuel only? That is almost an unrealistic number in my head. Im not saying its not possible or that you cant do it by any means, but sincerley asking HOW?

#27 ·
I would be interested. Not now, but later next year.

#32 ·
I'm in, $ is not a concern, but if you are gonna do that we need to talk again to change up some stuff for mine!!!

And yes I will be purchasing the parts from that quote you made me. Just waiting on some more funds.

Maybe I will call you next week and let you know what it is I want different.

F.Y.I. 1000hp on fuel isn't enough for this guy lol But you already know where I am taking this little truck of mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.