Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4x4 Front wheel bearing replacement

49K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  mikem 
#1 ·
Ok this is the deal.....130K on the truck, funny squeak coming form drivers side tire when at low speeds. Did the plunge and pulled apart the 4x4 locker hubs, found them as dry as a popcorn fart, cleaned and lubed (thanks to Guzzle's service info) now the squeak is gotten louder. Ordered 2 new hub assy, still can not find any data on how to pull them. Also what on these things do I need to grease? And how often should I do this? Lastly does anyone have the PN for the bearing on the inside of the ESOF hub?:confused:

#2 ·
they're mounted with studs through the knuckle.

make sure you get stud & nut kits before you swap them..

I'm not sure the ESOF hub was designed to be "user serviceable"
yeah, I know, Guzzle found a way to take them all apart.. I know that very much, eh?
but I don't think Ford INTENDED them to be serviced in this manner and offer individual pieces..

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.....I am looking at starting this on friday. Do you have any grasp on the lube requirments for the install?

#4 ·
Anti=seize on the unit bearing surface where it contacts the knuckle. Don't forget the o-ring that goes on the unit bearing. Blue locktite on the studs where they thread into the unit bearing unless you get one with studs already installed. Loctite on the threads of the studs when installing nuts. That about covers it.

#5 ·
Speed, JL thanks for the reply.
Speed how do you like your Adr HPOP?

#6 ·
I love it. It really woke up this old truvk. I think it is most noticeable on a truck with high mileage but it is also great for wshen/if you start upgrading such as injectors.

#7 ·
did you notice any fuel mileage increase? i am putting off injectors for a bit more, next step is the tranny for me.

#8 ·
Yes it seems as though I picked up a mile or two per but I didn't keep close tabs.

#9 ·
Thanks, for the insight. now the question is what to do next.....ant that always the question....haha
take it easy

#10 ·
i took the plugs off of the top on the knuckle where the esof lines would go and put in grease zirks and have been greasing the bearings every oil change there is a hole that lets grease into the axle bearings has been great way to keep that little needle bearing greased

#11 ·
So you dont use your ESOF? Did you change over to manual lockers? If so any pointers?

#14 ·
Hey my esof work great....... when they want to!!!

I usually just lock them in manually, some warn lockouts are on the list to buy. My very large list...

#16 ·
I have seen posts of people after shifting over to manual hubs, using the air line to the hub as grease point. Has anyone doe that and if so how has it worked out in the long run.

#17 ·
Any takers on this? I shifted over to manual lockers after a bearing replacement. Looking for input on this one.

#18 ·
subscribed!

#20 ·
That sounds like a good idea instead of blocking the fitting where the air line goes in the knuckle put a grease fitting
Also when you do unit bearings you should replace the axle seal and spindle bearings check your ujoints also

#21 ·
UPDATE.....
Removed the plugs that I installed when switching over to the WARN manual lockers. Installed 3/8 grease (Zerks) and punped in 1.5oz of Lucas green bearing grease into each side. 1200 miles and no issues. Getting ready for a 2500 mile trip and will make a update when that trip is done.

#22 ·
ggod luck man, i replaced my wheels bearings and they went out within 6 months (it does more sittin in the driveway than it gets drove, as i have other trucks that get better fuel milage) and i had to replace them with really good bearings which ran me 300 a piece and some change. i'll let ya know how long these last.

#23 ·
Locking hub packed full of grease+cold temps=hub no workey IMHO. I would never pack lock out hubs. Conoco used to make an arctic rated synthetic grease I used in the hubs on my 94 on reassembly after cleaning and never had problems. In warmer climates it might not hurt but in MT I'd almost gurantee no 4x4 come winter.

#24 ·
This whole thing started with a squeak from my front end. After I pulled the the Passenger side auto locker hub apart and found the hub assy and bearing dry and completely stuck, I followed a dissemble and lube instruction from Guzzle, ordered new wheel bearing assy for the front end. After parts arrived and I pulled the Passenger side found that the the wheel bearing assy was dry and very rough. Looking deeper into the assy there was no sign of any lube in the bearing.

With that all being said I made my mind up to take a proactive stance on this. So this is what I have done:

Removed and replace both front bearing assy.
Removed ESOF hubs, replaced with WARN manual lockers.
Removed ESOF hose and plugged lines.
Installed 3/8 ZERK fittings in the vacuum hole.
Pumped in 1.5 oz of Lucas Green bearing grease into each hub.
The plan is to remove the bearings at 5k miles and inspect.
Will post data and photos when that is done.

#26 ·
i know but it is my thought to see if it is making a difference. Also I am going to replace my sealed u joints with Moog grease type. Just dont have the money or the time to do it now.

#27 ·
Any pics or any more info on putting grease fittings in the vacumn line holes. Can I just pump grese in there withouut a fitting to?

#28 ·
Bump

#29 ·
Bump...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.