Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Train horns

4K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  Snake 
#1 ·
#3 ·
yea, but an Amsoil bypass, numerous filters on trans, fuel, and coolant, and a GT Tuner is next up... These little guys can hold me over, plus I can take them off and install them on my other truck..... Just look to see if anyone has dealt with this exact setup before

#9 ·
i pieced together my kit and it is FERAKIN LOUD!
i have a Viair 280C compressor ($140), 3 gallon tank off ebay ($65) and quad air horns ($65)

Chrome Compact Quad Train Air Horn Truck RV - Free Ship: eBay Motors (item 300403075452 end time Oct-29-10 14:52:07 PDT)

the compressor comes with a 150 psi switch, just add a relay and some wiring and you will have a loud setup for under $300.

i have a extra 40" single trumpet if you're interested. sounds just like an 18 wheeler

hornblasters is just overpriced, i can get the same outcome for a LOT cheaper buying it myself. some will argue but i know how loud both my brothers truck and mine are and there is no need for them to be any louder. i can hear his truck from his house 4 miles away to my house at night!

#23 ·
i pieced together my kit and it is FERAKIN LOUD!
i have a Viair 280C compressor ($140), 3 gallon tank off ebay ($65) and quad air horns ($65)

Chrome Compact Quad Train Air Horn Truck RV - Free Ship: eBay Motors (item 300403075452 end time Oct-29-10 14:52:07 PDT)

the compressor comes with a 150 psi switch, just add a relay and some wiring and you will have a loud setup for under $300.

i have a extra 40" single trumpet if you're interested. sounds just like an 18 wheeler

hornblasters is just overpriced, i can get the same outcome for a LOT cheaper buying it myself. some will argue but i know how loud both my brothers truck and mine are and there is no need for them to be any louder. i can hear his truck from his house 4 miles away to my house at night!
Did you need anything else? hoses Wires?

#10 ·
For the 200 your not going to be happy. That compressor will take forever to build pressure in that tank. You will only get a quick blast. I would do the other Mods you have planned then get the hornblasters kit.

We do a lot of train horn kits and as they say you get what you pay for.

If you would like I can send you a price on the hornblasters kit. We can work with you to make waiting for the hornblasters kit very worthwhile.

#13 ·
just rechecked mine and it is a 1.5 gallon tank. with my horns i get a 30-40 second non stop blast to empty the tank and about 10 seconds for it to drop from 150 to 100 PSI and kick on the compressor. i had this on my xterra mounted behind the bumper for 2 years, thats why the tank is so small. with a 5 gallon tank you could get more air than you will ever need on a horn setup.

BTW my Xterra had the quad horns, a 14 and 16" pair and a 40" horn hidden under the truck. you would never have known they were there unless i hit them. that one small tank would power all those horns for 20 seconds till it was empty

how long are you holding your horns to need more than that? the refill time from 0=-150 is under 2 min

#14 ·
You'll regret it the first time you light them off...

just rechecked mine and it is a 1.5 gallon tank. with my horns i get a 30-40 second non stop blast to empty the tank and about 10 seconds for it to drop from 150 to 100 PSI and kick on the compressor

how long are you holding your horns to need more than that? the refill time from 0=-150 is under 2 min
Your compressor is 10 times the one in the link...

mine...

220 psi in the tank, 5 gallon tank, 6 horns... less then $500...

#15 ·
LOL, you guys are gonna make me go wake the neighbors just to make a video!

posting pics now and back with a video in a few min./......................

#25 ·
30% duty cycle compressor and a 1.5 gallon tank... You will get about a 5 second blast before the sound will fade...

I'm not knocking you, but for cripes sake, do it right, do it once.

#17 ·
my "cheap kit" with only the twin horns installed

tanks mounted to the frame

compressor mounted to the pinch weld

horns mounted to the frame

#18 ·
Nice... since i could never fit a spare of my magnitude under my truck, I might be mounting it all under the spare area... horns on pass rail ofcourse

#21 ·
click on the big black squares to see the video. crappy cell phone video but gives you an idea. i only have the twin horns on it and i need to replace the quads like i showed earlier. the quad sounds a lot better but you can still hear the echos from the little cheapo kit i have

#24 ·
I got mine from KT Performance, the company that made them is no longer in business, I will replace my horns with Horn Blasters at some point, but these have worked flawlessly for 3 years now.

#32 ·
I blow mine for way longer than 5 seconds when some moron is blocking traffic, in fact I'm always giving prolonged blasts at people...LOL

16 gallons of air, 115v 2.5hp air compressor, HornBlasters Conductor Series....

I can blow about a 8-10 hour long blast....well...don't really know exactly how long,....but it will go until I run out of fuel(6.0L powers the alternator, which charges the batteries, which is what powers my 10,000 watt 115v inverter, which is what powers my 115v air compressor).

Hooked up to my alarm system.

#29 ·
be careful as to how much tank you have. viairs are rated for 5 gallons a piece any more and youll burn out the compressor.

#31 ·
Maybe someone felt like being a D!ck to you and reported it. I think they automatically remove it if there is any doubt. But I could be wrong.

#36 ·
A 280C is not a 100% duty cycle compressor.

========================================================
200 SERIES
Compressors are rated to 150 PSI with either 25% or 30% duty cycle and are meant to fill up to a 5.0 gallon tank. Units are available with remote mountable air intakes.

Specifications
12-Volt
Permanent Magnetic Motor
Duty Cycle: 30% @ 100 PSI
Max. Working Pressure: 150 PSI
Max. Amp Draw: 16 Amps

It takes nearly 9 minutes to fill a 5 gallon tank from 0 to 145 PSI. Duty cycles are usually on a 10 or 15 minute basis. 30% x 15 minutes = 4.5 minutes.

VIAIR Corporation - 280C Part No. 28021
VIAIR Corporation - 12 24 Volt C Model Compressor Kits

If you want a 100% duty cycle compressor, you need to step up to some of the 400 series.
VIAIR Corporation - 450C Part No. 45040

I have a 450 IC.
VIAIR Corporation - 450C IG Part No. 45050 45058

I'll be running mine with 2 pressure switches. One set a 60 or 100 PSI for "normal" conditions and another set to 150 PSI for special times when I need more pressure. I'll have switch for selecting one or the other. I'll first fill the tank to the lower pressure and leave the motor cool off. Then I'll pump the tank up to 150 PSI.

The front air bags on my truck run at 125 PSI. Everything else is low pressure, less than 50 PSI.

Didn't mean to derail the horn thread... just didn't want to see someone burn out their compressor.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.