Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4x4 U-Bolts

724 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Marauder 
#1 ·
Question.....

On my 2001 SD, can I use a round U-bolt on the front axle? It looks like the spring clamp/shock mount is semi-round. Also the OEM bolts are 9/16 in dia. Looks like I can fit a 5/8 bolt throught the lower axle pad. Should I upgrade to a 5/8 bolt?

Lastly if I have sheered the leaf spring locating pin where can I source one...at the Stealership? : )

Thanks

#2 ·
9/16" bolts are plenty large enough in diameter but if 5/8" fit yes you can use them. Any spring shop can supply you with a centering pin bolt. Round U-bolts are used in the late 99 and up trucks. Be sure to clamp the spring pack on both sides of the axle before loosening the u-bolts if you have a sheared center pin or your individual leaves of the pack will misalign and make it a nightmare to get a new center pin in place.

#3 ·
Thanks for the tip on clamping the pack together before I start pulling things apart!:doh:

I found a spring shop that knew what I needed as one of the guys behind the counter owned a SD. I now have a set of Grade 8, 5/8th, semi round U-bolts. He also set me up with the spring pack bolt as well. After looking at the diameter of the pack bolt I know mine is toast! The OEM bolt are 9/16 but there is plenty of room in the bracket holes to drop a 5/8 bolt through. After seeing just how my OEM U-bolts flexed on impact I figured a tad larger u-bolt couldn't hurt.

Again thanks for your help! :bowfast::bowfast:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.