Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

excursion axle swap

11K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Betaracer 
#1 ·
I've been having front end issues and now it seems some rear end issues with my X.... i can get my hands on some axles out of an 00' f-350 dually (for free)... im guessing this is a do-able swap... would i just need spacers for the dually rear to get my tires back out to an acceptable width? any input is greatly appreciated!!

#2 ·
I really do not think you want to run dually D 80 in a Excursion. But it is doable.

The front is a straight up swap and you will be getting a D60 instead of a 50 out of it. The rear why not look for a 10.5. It is plenty strong for even big hp puller and strip trucks. What exactly is the issues with your current D50 and 10.5?

#3 ·
long story short, the previous owner had a gear job done(suppsoedly about 1k miles ago)... and it seems as if the shop didnt know WTF a lash is.... and how to put a knuckle and hub assembly on... rear end is full of metal(pulled the plug and it looked like a furbie), and ive had to replace a ton of crap on the front end.... and as it sits there is no way i can stab the axle shafts back in because of their ignorance.. so basically the front end is a must... and i am getting the axles for free, so its either pay to regear the rear, or just do a swap and be done with it... Whats wrong with a d80 in an "x"? Just wondering..

#6 ·
yeah after the tranny and front end fell apart in the first 1k miles... pretty soon ill have a 2010 excursion.. im just curious as to why the d80 isnt a good idea... im def. doing the 60 but weighing my options on the rear now..

#7 ·
well when you do the front you will wanna put your rotors wheels bearing and everything on and get rid of the dually hubs. the rearend i dont think is a bad idea at all the d80 is stronger of course and is one inch wider than your current axle. i think you should go for it!

#8 ·
ill definately have to swap the knuckles being i have the crossover setup on mine... the d80 will be one inch wider on each side or just overall?

#9 ·
i am not exactly sure as i am just going by other ppl but i think 1 inch on each side so if it bothered you you could run spacers on the front but most ppl say they dont notice. the d80 is alot stronger tho

#13 ·
Its not that its bad just over kill and re-gearing is not that $$. The 1" wider even if both sides is not bad as that is what the 05+ SD 10.5s are. Its going to likely cost 2 mpg but no doubt it will be damn near indestructible. If they are free and you can do the work .....

#14 ·
The issue I'd have with the D80 is that changing the brake rotors requires the removal of the hub assembly. Not something that is done often, but still not as easy as on a 10.5. Look for one from a pick-up or you'll need to reposition the spring pads if it came from a cab/chassis. No spacers are required as the wheels mount a couple inches further out than on a 10.5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.