Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Single Turbo Interest

17K views 160 replies 33 participants last post by  JD Dearden 
#1 ·
Hey guys- For the past couple of months we've spent some time looking into offering a single turbo system for the 6.4L powered trucks. From what we're seeing with the market, our best bet would be a turbo that would support these larger tuners, say the 525-575hp range. But something that could do it without high drive pressures and the 1700+ EGT issues the stock turbos run into at that hp level.

We're just trying to gauge interest in a product like this. If we could offer good bottem end, quick spool-up, and as close to 1:1 pressure ratio as possible at say 550hp, would this be something marketable to you guys?

We're guessing prices would be $3-4,000 for the complete system, but that's just a shot in the dark guess at this point...

#5 ·
When you respond, be serous, if you dont honestly think you would want to do it then dont say you want it..

I know i have talked to jeff alot about it and i think with a properly sized turbo lag wouldnt be and issue and the drive pressure would be gone. I think it could support more power than that honestly, and pius is the guy to set up the right turbo for these trucks.

Also the tuning that is out there now is getting better as far as a single turbo goes, i finally have a tune that i can use cruise control, and i dont get a engine light on the dash....

I think for alot of you guys this might be what you need...

For some others, a big charger might be what you need but lag might be an issue, I hope this helps feel free to PM me with any questions.

Please keep the thread on track, i have done my best to put my side in since i have actually run it, again pm with questions, if you have questions concerns reguarding *** feel free to add it in the thread, i just dont want to see this one get derailed.

#6 ·
For us, we think our biggest market for something like this would be for the guys running just intake, exhaust, and big tunes. With that being said, once the initial mount system and turbocharger were built/designed, there is no reason we wouldn't be able to offer an even larger turbo for the same mount kit for the highly modified trucks. We've spent sometime talking with Pius, and this is definitley a doable project between his turbo expertise and ***'s fabrication skills. Just want to see that there would be a market, as there will be a lot of R&D hours put into something like this.

#10 ·
Id definitely be interested, my new set of stock turbos are squeaking again and Ive been wanting to go to a single and I wont be doing anything other than just tunes for a long time.

#13 ·
I know that you also said that you were interested in a set up like this?

The other thing guys too is this would be a good platform to have a single charger in the valley, and if you wanted to go up in turbo sizes you could, or you could leave that turbo in the valley and run a large atmospheric turbo in place of one of the batteries, or also run a procharger set up with it, once you go to a single your options grow, and your turbo selection can grow with your HP goals, later on down the road if thats what you decide you want to do.

#15 ·
Im Definetly interested in doing a single. Like Jeff said a single that could support 60hp tips and the industrial pump would be perfect. thats wat i plan on doing. Also if it will mount up to the stock up pipes. I just spent 2k on Dirty Diesels egr delete kit and would like to use it. Also the procharger idea like Dustin brought up would be tits. My batteries r already moved and i have a lot of space. My orginal plans was tow powers and now the single has come back into my plans. Thanks guys if this comes thru.

#17 ·
I'd be interested...how can you keep streetable if you have a large single turbo to create power? Also, what would cost look like?

#21 ·
I honestly would bet that when it comes down to someone dropping 3-4K on a turbo set up they are not going to want the same power level or less than what the stockers put out, even if the drive pressure is lower I don't see a reason someone would spend that amount of money for no gain. Most folks who are going to drop that kind of coin of their truck will be looking for big gains in HP IMHO.

I like the idea because I want to do just that and couple it with a Procharger.

#25 ·
i have to agree. a wastegate gives you the same result if the power goal is 600 or so. also, we have the labor cost yours or someone elses, which wont be fun. if the power goal is different and its a building block for a sled puller...thats where this would be a great fit.

#24 ·
Reducing the drive pressures and bringing EGT's back down under 1600 degrees on these larger tunes could really go along way with engine durability. The goal is to make a turbo that will offer more 'usable' horsepower. Also, if we flow the same cfm as the stock turbos at the same boost pressure, the drop in back pressure should equate to an increase in overall power.

#30 ·
I just don't think you are going to get a honest feel if it is worth it or not here, I think you are going to get ALOT of people say YES YES YES and when it comes time to buy people are going to think twice.......the average guy could careless about BP and to be honest the BP isn't gonna kill these turbos or engines in a hurry anyway.

#31 ·
If *** could get the price down a little bit, and design something that wasn't too specific to one type of turbo, I think they would do alright selling them. But I don't think the average tuner, intake, exhaust guy is going to drop 3-4 gs to stay at right around the same horse with a single, when you can get upgraded stockers and a wastegate for right around the same price. I hope they make a kit, it'll open up a ton of options for people to go from mild (single) to something wild like a big set of twins. It would almost seem foolish not to do it, and if nothing else, build a sweet set of twins off it.

#32 ·
If the price for ***’s Single were to be the same or higher then Elite’s MAX or High Power turbo options then forget it.

Yes, I’m very interested in a single; in fact some testing is going on right now with singles on my truck with the help of Lubeowner.

#41 ·
None taken, I was just thinking from a business aspect. I would think plenty of people consider cost when buying a performance products.

Also there are a few competitive turbo options on the market for 6.4’s consumers to choose from.

#49 ·
I want to try to be competitive sled pulling in my area, so I want to go with a single. If I didn't plan on doing that, I would do a set of twins like dirty diesel offers. If *** decides it isn't worth it, I'll call Jeremy. But I know *** comes up with some sweet turbo set ups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.